Author Topic: Sheep on the road  (Read 2744 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
Sheep on the road
« on: August 22, 2017, 12:06:22 »
No idea where to put this, but it is rather amusing, at the moment. In the field opposite us there is a stray flock of sheep. The field is not stock proof (no gate and a huge missing section of hedge). I have just chased the flock off the road, out of neighbours garden and back on to the field. No idea who owns the sheep or farms the field. So the question is, who do we inform? There could be a nasty accident if the animals go along the lane and out on to the main road.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Sheep on the road
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 15:56:14 »
The police.  They may be a stolen flock or they may simply have escaped from their own pasture after an accident to fencing or walling so then try the local farmers.

That's what I did the night we came home from a posh dinner and found a dozen stray cows in the road by our house.  There was me in my posh frock and a pair of wellies with a long Wolf handle and a broomstick herding them about till help came.
Obxx - Vendée France

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 07:17:22 »
Also any local farmers. They seem to know who has what.
Obelix that must have been a different way to end your evening than you expected!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 11:09:16 »
If the sheep have a paint mark it might be worth phoning a local farmer and see if they can identify the owner by the colour and position, shape of the mark, or they might have ear notches?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 11:25:33 »
Pumpkin - it was actually quite entertaining but I was dog tired after a late night and a good meal with different wine with each of the 5 courses......  all prepared for local dignitaries by a chef from Epinal, our French twinned town.   As well as all the food and wine I'd been on parade as interpreter between the Loughborough dignitaries from the English twin and the ones form Gembloux.

When the police eventually turned up I offered them my poles, gave them a couple more and asked them to carry on without me and leave the poles out front when they'd done.  I then scarpered off to bed.  Turns out the cows had escaped from their paddock, crossed a wildlife reserve and pheasant hunting grounds, eaten their way across a huge sugar beet field and ended up in the road by us.  Heaven knows what star they were following.

Did you get your sheep sorted out Palustris?
Obxx - Vendée France

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 14:58:37 »
Only just arrived home from a day out, not looked to see if the sheep are still in the field. Don't seem to have been on the road, there are no more droppings by us than there were yesterday.
Gardening is the great leveller.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal