Author Topic: Sweetcorn tassles nibbled  (Read 2996 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Sweetcorn tassles nibbled
« on: August 21, 2017, 16:14:02 »
The tassles on my sweetcorn cobs were quite brown although the cobs were not that big. Now they have been completely chewed off by some critter. Is it worth leaving the cobs in the hope of some more growth, or will they just rot now?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Sweetcorn tassles nibbled
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 17:09:25 »
The tassles on my sweetcorn cobs were quite brown although the cobs were not that big. Now they have been completely chewed off by some critter. Is it worth leaving the cobs in the hope of some more growth, or will they just rot now?

Are you sure they have been eaten? or have they just fallen off?

Personally I would harvest them simply because when the silk turns brown choose what size they are ...they are ready

I don't think they will grow any larger!

Add to that the cobs may become starchy if you leave them on, and the corn seeds will go hard and it will be like eating buckshot!

Sorry but the choice is yours!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 19:00:00 »
Thanks- I'm not expecting great things as the plants have only reached about 4ft high, so I'll harvest and freeze any we can't eat quickly.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 20:36:08 »
Thanks- I'm not expecting great things as the plants have only reached about 4ft high, so I'll harvest and freeze any we can't eat quickly.
it all depends on variety how tall they grow swift and lark grow to around 4/5ft incredible grow to 6/8ft  hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 20:38:07 »
it all depends on variety how tall they grow swift and lark grow to around 4/5ft incredible grow to 6/8ft  hope this helps
whoops wrong pic
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 21:05:42 »
I grew Lark this year - all 20 plants were more than 90cm tall and produced two lovely fat cobs on most of them. Swift is another variety that always grows very tall for me. :tongue3:

Tricia :wave:

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 07:05:47 »
Cobs get nibbled here as soon as they start to ripen, very annoying. Now I keep a close eye on them as soon as I see the first tassels start to turn brown, and immediately jam a plastic bottle down on the main cob . Have found that that works  perfectly.  No idea what nibbles them.  Last year we put mouse traps around, which  got moved a little but didn't get activated.  They get nibbled from the top.  Harvest all our last week.  Mmmmmmmm!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 07:14:27 »
I have had the tassles nibbles in the past.  Suggest putting a plastic bottle with end cut off over each cob.  My experience is they will come back for more tomorrow and start eating the goodies.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 20:42:41 »
Last year I caught magpies eating mine!

DUke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 09:03:20 »
Harvested them all yesterday- most underdeveloped, only got four decent cobs. Should have listened to myself a couple of years ago when i said they weren't worth the effort! :BangHead:

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 20:35:12 »
That's such a shame, Caroline. Do you think you should have left them a little longer to develop? I always peep into a couple of  cobs to see how they are getting on, before I harvest them.  And the tassels need to have turned dark.
Is it a question of variety?  I would have thought they should  grow in Yorkshire OK. 
They are one of my favourite veg to grow, as they are so easy.  Nothing seems to attack them until right at the end, when I have to cover the cops with plastic bottles.  I do earth them up half way through their growing. 
Don't give up!  Does anyone else grow them near you?  You could ask them what variety they plant.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 20:38:55 »
My neighbour at the allotment has got massive plants with loads of cobs on, but then he's retired and puts in a lot more work at theplot than me! I can't remember what variety mine were. As we're planning to move even further north i think i might just stick to the things I know i can grow! :happy7:

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 22:21:26 »
One of my neighbours has had their corn badly damaged but they are not touched mine so far.  I have beans growing up mine, I wonder if that confuses what ever it it.

We do have magpies have not seem them on the corn.  They thought it was rats and put down poison but the attacks have not stopped even though the poison has been taken.

pumkinlover

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 07:48:36 »
Where are you thinking of moving to?

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 11:47:23 »
I gave my sweet corn patch a couple of wheelbarrows full of manure and the plants are very tall and have needed no watering. Actually less work because I have had no weeds amongst the corn. 
I also have beans growing up mine.  I am particularly pleased with one called Cyprus from HSL.  It has quite delicate stems and small beans so does not pull the plant over.  Nice as small grazing. 

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 15:41:10 »
Mine were surrounded by nasturtiums but thy clearly didn't distract whatever was after the corn!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 15:42:08 »
Where are you thinking of moving to?
Probably around Berwick upon Tweed- one side of the border or the other!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal