Author Topic: 4yr old Damson tree needs reducing! Advice welcome.  (Read 1211 times)

JoNewms

4yr old Damson tree needs reducing! Advice welcome.
« on: August 19, 2017, 18:48:42 »
My damson tree is now 4yrs old and was supposed to be a dwarf but is quite big. Due to a lack of time, I haven't been able to give it the care it needs and it is perhaps a little leggy.

I have learned the following from research:
- it is ok to prune now after the fruit.
- I should remove any end "clumps" to reduce weight
- I should take out any cross-middle branches to give it a "vase" shape
- I should remove the branches a little out of the heel for a smaller cut (not flush) - at 45degrees
- don't remove more than a third of the tree in one pruning
- take out any very acute angles to promote strength
(As yet there is no disease or dead.)

My remaining queries are:
- some of the branches are quite long and I don't think they will hold the weight of the fruit (branches on my friend's plum tree snapped due to weight), should I reduce the length and if so by how much?
- one of the main unions has a crack in it (damsons are apparently brittle) - should I take out the smaller branch and if so should I treat the end? Or do I take out the bigger one to promote lateral growth? Should I treat the crack?

Looking forward to your input. Thank you tonnes in advance!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: 4yr old Damson tree needs reducing! Advice welcome.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 14:04:47 »
its the best time to prune stone fruit lower the top branches by around a third  you can thin the fruits however id try to support them with stakes if you see signs of brown rot on the fruit remove it straight away and the two adjacent to them hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal