Author Topic: Squashes!  (Read 9418 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Squashes!
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2017, 11:15:26 »
I have been given a couple of garden obelisks.  They are very sturdy and ideally suited for growing tromba squashes.  Just need to make sure that the root area is well watered and fertilised.  :wave:

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2017, 17:22:45 »
I'll have to try trombas, they sound fab! Where's a good place to get seeds from?

I bought a little squash from Lidl a few weeks ago - they usually only have multicoloured acorn ones which are okay but not that exciting. This one was flattish and dark green with nice orange flesh and when roasted it went really dry but really tasty. Michael said it reminded him of roasted chestnuts and I can totally see what he means!

It was stuffed full of nice fat seeds so I've washed and dried them and I'm going to try planting a couple next year, because why not? Maybe it's an F1, maybe it's cross-pollinated with something else, but it'll be fun to see what happens anyway.

A quick internet search makes me think it's probably a Kabocha squash. Whatever it is, we liked it!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2017, 21:07:02 »
I'll have to try trombas, they sound fab! Where's a good place to get seeds from?

https://www.seedsofitaly.com/Squash_Tromba_Of_Albenga/p1834925_8313519.aspx

Seeds of Italy, but there are other sources as well.  :wave:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2017, 21:12:49 »

I bought a little squash from Lidl a few weeks ago - they usually only have multicoloured acorn ones which are okay but not that exciting. This one was flattish and dark green with nice orange flesh and when roasted it went really dry but really tasty. Michael said it reminded him of roasted chestnuts and I can totally see what he means!

It was stuffed full of nice fat seeds so I've washed and dried them and I'm going to try planting a couple next year, because why not? Maybe it's an F1, maybe it's cross-pollinated with something else, but it'll be fun to see what happens anyway.

A quick internet search makes me think it's probably a Kabocha squash. Whatever it is, we liked it!

Kabochas are small cucurbita maxima.  Usually with soft skin, so you don't have to peel. There have been numerous varieties bred by the Japanese. 
https://www.bobby-seeds.com/en/Cucurbits-and-more/Squash-Seeds/Maxima-Seeds-all/BSPL01-F1::2514.html
My favourite squash of this type is Buttercup, although I'm told that Black Forest is exquisite.  :wave:

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2017, 11:48:20 »

Kabochas are small cucurbita maxima.  Usually with soft skin, so you don't have to peel. There have been numerous varieties bred by the Japanese. 
https://www.bobby-seeds.com/en/Cucurbits-and-more/Squash-Seeds/Maxima-Seeds-all/BSPL01-F1::2514.html
My favourite squash of this type is Buttercup, although I'm told that Black Forest is exquisite.  :wave:

Good to know, thanks!

I haven't yet experienced a squash with inedible skin, to be honest, so I never peel anyway. ;) Not unless I'm making purée or pumpkin pie or something where I need smooth texture.

Yes, this one was definitely a maxima. Corky stem, fat smooth shiny beige seeds with sticky/slimy coating which I assume will dry to "cellophane".

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal