Author Topic: Squashes!  (Read 9415 times)

Seacarrot

• Quarter Acre
  • Two Greenhouses and a fab new shed.
    • The Cynical Gardener
Re: Squashes!
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 16:40:04 »
I used to grow Galeux D'eysines.

Amazingly good flavour, but absolutely huge. I used to cut each one into about six pieces and give them to neighbours and anyone else I could find. Still had more than we could use. I've switched to good flavoured but more compact varieties.

I'm growing Galeux D'eysines for the first time this year, and I'm shocked at how big the biggest one is getting, I'm seriously considering cutting it soon to stop it....
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2017, 22:13:44 »
My Gete-okosomin Squashes are only just beginning to swell , hope there is still time . The plant is extremely healthy . No Mosaic virus and no leaves withering away yet ....lots of flowers on a monster plant that is going crazy and is actually escaping the Pumpkin Bed enclosure !
Trespassers will be composted !

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2017, 11:46:19 »
I use one of these to get into resistant squash

Best tenner I ever spent.
I use one too - mine is a bit less axe-like, about 40cm x 10cm - definitely for veg not meat&bones. An excellent ergonomic Chinese tool at a very good price; good stainless too - keeps a good edge.

The key thing is that the shape allows the blade to be very slim, even at the spine - which is half as thick for the same length as my chef knives.

Also good for melons because the sharp slim blade produces less waste juice on the first cut.

On the other hand, I've never had a pumpkin with flesh more than 20 cm thick - for that I'd get out my froe...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2017, 20:01:54 »
Tricia, how do you cope with cutting these small orange squashes, I grew some two years ago, cannot remember which ones and they were monstrous to get into. I couldn`t do it, far too hard

Hi

I used to be really active on here, but for various reasons, stopped. I'm growing various squash for the first time this year.  But to help re:cooking, For a few years now, I always cook all mine whole. I put them in a tray and slow roast for 1-2hrs depending on size and temp. Leave to cool slightly. Cut in half, scoop out seeds, peel skin off (or scoop out flesh). None of that hard work of trying to deal with cutting and peeling. I also think the flavour is superior. Just done today a 3kg Ushiki Kuri which somehow rolled and snapped off the plant last week. Delicious :)  All excess which won't be reheated this week, is frozen in portions to add to soups, etc.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2017, 01:16:15 »
I never bother peeling or scooping out flesh when roasting, I'm yet to find a squash with skin that I couldn't eat when cooked.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2017, 20:35:02 »
Sorry but those big knives scare me !   :coffee2:
Trespassers will be composted !

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2017, 13:19:44 »
harvested this tromboncino today 57" end to end
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2017, 15:56:14 »

And  perfectly straight too - a beauty!  :wave:

mat

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2017, 16:26:17 »

Oh wow, that's an unusual one for me to try in the future. It's bizarre!!!

Here's my 3kg Uchiki Kuri which snapped off the plant a few weeks ago, so was cooked a week or so later.  It was delicious.  Rest of the various squash are still on the plants.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2017, 16:33:27 »

Oh wow, that's an unusual one for me to try in the future. It's bizarre!!!

Here's my 3kg Uchiki Kuri which snapped off the plant a few weeks ago, so was cooked a week or so later.  It was delicious.  Rest of the various squash are still on the plants.

thats a good size uchiki kuri  i grow trommies up trellis 
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2017, 18:02:44 »
And even on the trellis mine still get an amusing shape  :toothy9:

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2017, 04:36:52 »
If you can't cut your squash and it is big, drop it from a bedroom window onto concrete, it will split and once you have a split it is much easier to cut chunks off, sounds crazy bit it works,.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2017, 23:42:33 »
I'm with Jeannine on this... can it get too big if you like that variety...

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2017, 08:43:19 »
... and if you time it right, you can take out a squirrel or a pigeon too.

Seacarrot

• Quarter Acre
  • Two Greenhouses and a fab new shed.
    • The Cynical Gardener
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2017, 17:12:44 »
I've grown Galeux D'eysines for the first time this year, i had no idea it would get so big, its a whopper... I grew it in my front garden as well.

hope it tastes ok...
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

mat

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2017, 19:46:34 »
I've grown Galeux D'eysines for the first time this year, i had no idea it would get so big, its a whopper... I grew it in my front garden as well.

hope it tastes ok...

Oh my word, just looked this one up. My it’s ‘warty’... it would make for a scary Halloween pumpkin carved warty witch face...

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2017, 08:12:48 »
I am starting to bring in my Trombo but they are so heavy I can only carry one or two at a time.  I started eating one which had begun to rot at one one, and lovely!!

I really do recommend them.   They are a moschata like butternut squash but I find them a much more reliable fruiter.   With the seeds all at one end there is so much more to eat.

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2017, 08:41:57 »
I make a tasty Lasagna-style bake, with slices of Tromba instead of the pasta. Yum!
The way the tromba stem grows, makes it very easy copy the size/shape of the usual pasta sheets :D

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2017, 09:28:30 »
Does everyone grow the Trombo up trellis??  Could be good for my limited space but I've never grown them before.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2017, 10:50:43 »
I grow them up trellis or the end of the bean frame. I have been known to grow them up a wigwam in the garden as the flowers are big and beautiful  :toothy10:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal