Author Topic: courgettes are going quiet. Are yours?  (Read 3799 times)

strawberry1

• Hectare
courgettes are going quiet. Are yours?
« on: August 16, 2017, 10:11:34 »
Alexander F1 and how well they have performed, started much earlier than all others on the site. I planted them through weed fabric and the moisture has remained in the soil. They have now slowed down and are producing mostly male flowers , so are tired. I could feed them and perk them up but my plans include a green crop and phacelia fits in my rotation. So these last few courgettes will be left two more days and they will be out to make compost in my hotbin. I have processed vast numbers for the freezer, along with green beans,  ratatouille and I will be fed all winter. It has been manic picking but I am ready to slow down too

I have limited space, only 6 viable raised beds for veg on my plot 8 x 4 and no dig so green manure is vital, chopped down, turned over and covered, so easy

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: courgettes are going quiet. Are yours?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 12:23:45 »
I'm still picking every day from my three plants, Cavili, Sure Thing and Friulana Rugosa. Luckily my main 'takers' are back from their holidays now so don't have to spend so much time in the kitchen cooking and freezing them. The Cobra and Superstar beans are finished too - have frozen enough to last till next year!

Tricia  :wave:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 14:31:19 »
Stocked the freezer, ate them every other day, gave millions away, then they went quiet apart from a few 'marrows' which went on the compost heap. Then after those couple of wet days they are coming back with a vengeance. I was going to pull the plants but the butternut have got themselves intertwined. So I will leave them to their own devices and dig the lot back in when the squash get harvested. Much nicer things to eat now, tomatoes, sweetcorn, beans, carrots and kale also the salad spuds are ready to pull up.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 15:08:59 »
Its wierd but I think I am tired of picking, the stuff that needs to be picked within a short time frame. I love putting the raised beds to green manure and then to cover and sleep. I am tempted to start taking out today but will sit on my hands until tomorrow, anyway my hotbin is pretty full and needs to sink down but I am ready as are the courgette plants

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 18:01:17 »
I compromised and gave them more space by taking the middle one out and gave the remaining two a good drink of comfrey water. Only because my hotbin is full again and I am waiting for room, having taken some out of the bottom earlier today. It will be interesting to see if the small remaining courgettes grow bigger quickly or not

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 18:30:27 »
I've taken out my 6 Parador yellow courgette plants. in the last week the few fruit that were being produced were pitted with green pits and looked terrible.   I've already made 69 jars of the 2 courgette based chutneys and have enough in the freezer for another 25 so I'm quite happy to see the back of them.
The "free-range" Sungold tomatoes are really taking off now and giving 2kg every 2 to 3 days, so I've got my work cut out dealing with those!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 18:36:04 »
pescador, what do you do with the tomatoes? I have 3 sunset plants but they are all becoming orange at the same time. Luckily I do have freezer space now as I transferred a lot of produce to the overflow small chest freezer in the garage, which is now absolutely full to the brim. Maybe I will just bag and freeze them, will be nice gently cooked with an egg or on a pizza. I cannot be bothered with tomato sauce, was different when I had big red juicy tomatoes

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 18:54:06 »
My courgettes have been rubbish so far-loads and loads f leaves but very few fruit.they are mostly diNizza round ones-won't be growing those again!

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 07:23:43 »
Hi Strawberry, apart from the ones used fresh I make loads of Tomato, Basil and Chilli Sauce. I refer to it as a "grown-up ketchup"!
It's excellent as a dip, ketchup or ingredient (e.g. spread on a pizza base instead of tomato puree, it gives the whole thing a real lift!)
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 08:10:23 »
Mine have been so poor this year that we haven't even managed to get sick of them... and only have about 6 a week to give away..

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 09:01:18 »
Has anyone tried this- http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/zucchini-slice/eb7eed59-5f53-4f6f-bfb5-9b7e3f81a702  We leave out the flour.  it's really nice and freezes great!

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 09:20:09 »
Thank you that sounds good, I will make it later hopefully :)

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 09:24:22 »
Thank you that sounds good, I will make it later hopefully :)

Hope you like it- I also forgot to mention that we often miss out the onions and add grated carrot for a more attractive and tasty alternative...

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 11:45:22 »
Have just checked out the link - 'down under' one courgette (zucchini) costs A$1.00 on special offer!!

This is similar to what I make and freeze quite frequently. I call it a pastry-free quiche and often add fried off mushrooms and some herbs.

Tricia :wave:

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 11:58:13 »
Not a good harvest here and they think it is Autumn as the leaves are turning yellow already, despite being fed regularly :(

TheEssexYorkshireman

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 12:53:29 »
Planted 6 plants this year as the 4 I did last year didn't give me much. WOW! I have them coming our of my ears! Keeping family, neighbours and work colleagues fully supplied too. They now have lots of white powdery mildew so will probably be digging them up this weekend. It's been an exceptional year for many this including 206lb Kestrel pots.

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 14:14:39 »
Have just checked out the link - 'down under' one courgette (zucchini) costs A$1.00 on special offer!!

This is similar to what I make and freeze quite frequently. I call it a pastry-free quiche and often add fried off mushrooms and some herbs.

Tricia :wave:

We call it "ozzie slice"

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 14:51:58 »
No, no, no, there is only one way that courgettes should be eaten, all these flash recipes look good but very, very thinly sliced chucked into hot olive oil and viciously fried with onion, garlic and chopped chorizo, bung in an anchovy and you are ready to go. Oh, getting hungry now, better go and knock up a snack with todays pickings.

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 15:56:09 »
My courgettes have only just got going properly the last week or so, but now I'm cutting the things every day. Lots of flowers on my runner beans but still no beans. Still waiting for my first ripe tomato, but I did notice a very slight change in colour on one or two of them yesterday. Maybe I'm just impatient ;)

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 17:18:19 »
No, no, no, there is only one way that courgettes should be eaten, all these flash recipes look good but very, very thinly sliced chucked into hot olive oil and viciously fried with onion, garlic and chopped chorizo, bung in an anchovy and you are ready to go. Oh, getting hungry now, better go and knock up a snack with todays pickings.

Sounds fantastic!  Simpler still, cut them lengthways into 1cm or so thick strips, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and chargrill them on the BBQ or a  stovetop grill pan until they get nicely caramelized...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal