Author Topic: Give your plant an Aspirin?  (Read 2536 times)

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
Give your plant an Aspirin?
« on: August 12, 2017, 20:46:44 »
Just saw this video on Youtube (I hope its ok to post it here). The idea is that aspirin is good for plants, amongst other things. I've never considered or heard of this before, apart from keeping cut flowers fresh for longer. So has anyone tried any of the points listed in the video, or is this just another wacky youtube bit of nonsense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8FJjXTOBdI

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Give your plant an Aspirin?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 21:13:08 »
Aspirin is derived from willow which, as we all know, roots at the drop of a hat.   I've used soluble aspirin to root cuttings in water and fed it to sickly plants.  It seems to work.

Have a look at this - https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/soil-fertilizers/aspirin-for-plant-growth.htm
Obxx - Vendée France

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 07:57:03 »
I've heard the one about it helping to ripen and sweeten toms before you pick them. Not tried it though. How could you tell if it worked since you only eat them once you've done it? Might be useful though at the end of the season.

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 08:48:43 »
Have a look at the book "Grow for Flavour" by James Wong, pub RHS. He talks about a dilute spray of aspirin to increase the sugar concentration in tomatoes. He also says it can produce stronger (resistance) plants. He also talks about an aspirin and seaweed soak to improve germination of various types of seed, including parsley. An interesting book, might be worth a look.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 18:55:22 »
I have been experimenting with willow water not just for rooting cuttings but getting them to grow faster afterwards.
There is more in willow than aspirin. 

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 14:56:01 »
The active ingredient in Aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) in only tiny amounts, most of the tablet consists of starch and to my knowledge it is not sourced from willow nor has it ever been. Willow, like a lot of other plants, produces salicin (a plant hormone), that makes a lot more sense to me that using an aspirin (homeopathy for plants ?) as a plant tonic.
I'm interested to know what is willow water? Do you make it or buy it?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 06:52:59 »
Willow water is something you make from willow tree bark which is still green. There are quite a few web site saying how,  Either using hot water for a short time or cold water for a long time.   
Remove the leaves from stems cut into pieces and add water.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal