Author Topic: Marjoram v Oregano  (Read 2277 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Marjoram v Oregano
« on: August 06, 2017, 15:25:47 »
 Please can someone explain the difference.

The more I read the less I know.

A plot neighbour has a lovely plant with large heads of pink flowers which are covered in bees. 

We had a wander and found various similar plants which had not bees and slightly smaller flowers.  Some of the flowers were darker and some paler.   

Can someone sort out my confusion please.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Re: Marjoram v Oregano
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 15:52:37 »
The bees and butterflies love my oregano, so I have left it to flower especially for them. Will try and find an old photo.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 00:37:48 »
I have both in my herb bed, and use them interchangeably as they don't taste much different. Good in tomato sauces and salad dressings, on pizzas and marinades for meat.

They are very closely related and will actually hybridise with each other.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 20:06:36 »
Oh yes Borlotti that is it lovely pic.  So that is Oregano.  There is lots of it about.  There is a huge patch on an abandoned allotment and it seems to have seeded all the patches have different coloured flowers.  From light to dark pink.  So they are all Oregano.  My plot neighbour has one with very large clumps of flowers, presume this is a special variety.  So while I was trying to decided which of them were Marjoram, I think in fact all of them are Oregano.

As far as I can work out Marjoram has white flowers.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 07:35:46 »
Marjoram can have pink or purple flowers too, just to be confusing!

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 14:28:34 »
I thought I had just got to grips with it!!!   

I have taken some Irish cuttings (Ie they already have a little piece of root.) of the Oregano from one of the abandoned plots,  it is covered in it even though it is very pretty.    I shall taken some seeds later as well, as it seems to spread very easily.   

But I am still at a loss to know what Marjoram looks like.  I think I will hove down to the garden centre and see what they have got.   

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 16:33:53 »
Apart from the taste difference it's quite hard to tell between them
In technical terms, the difference between marjoram and oregano is based on the shape of the calyx

http://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/herbs/marjoram-oregano-difference.php

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 21:09:05 »
Over 20 years ago we got a single pot of margoram and planted it in our herb bed. Now it's all over the garden we pull it out where it's in the way otherwise we let it be. Basically Pot Margoram is a variety of Oregano.The hoverflies love if and help control the greenfly. Also try Greek Oregano. It has a much stronger flavour but slightly tender

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 21:11:39 »
Thanks for the link, very interesting, but now I am totally confused.

So I have not got mine from a reliable source, as suggested, I have just taken cuttings of the plants which I like the shape and colour of the flowers heads.  Certainly did not get up close and personal with the Calyx. 

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 12:31:37 »
I was always told that Marjoram was the "refined and cultivated" version of Oregano - which grows wild in the Mediteranean area
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 15:03:44 »
The main difference is that oregano actually tastes of something!

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 19:23:17 »
Wild marjoram is a British native perennial growing to about 60cm. The dark purple buds at the top of the stem open to show purple, pink or occasionally white bunches of thyme like flowers. The leaves are long, oval and usually slightly toothed and are sweetly scented. Our native plant is the same species as the Mediterranean herb known as oregano but because it grows in a cooler climate it has a less intense and less earthy smell.
Located in Royston, North Herts.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 06:21:47 »
It does seem to be invasive, so I hope I do not regret importing it.  It is all over one abandoned plot and it has not been empty that long. 

suncekoret

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 19:07:28 »
Like many here I have marjoram all around my plot

I started with one plant of golden marjoram  ( Latin name Origanum vulgare aureum, just to confuse things )
it seeded freely, producing some green and some golden forms + white, pale pink and dark pink flowering forms

I keep many plants because it's a great bee and butterfly plant with a long flowering period and have planted many in odd corners and given lots away

Unfortunately the flavour is not great and I will be looking for a true oregano to plant and use for cooking

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal