Author Topic: Gardeners and their cats  (Read 45449 times)

BAGGY

• Hectare
Re: Gardeners and their cats
« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2005, 01:05:00 »

Now I have the hang of this photo thingy,this is Merlin.  Bird killer and frog harasser extraordinaire
Get with the beat Baggy

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2005, 08:36:44 »
oh baggy he goes after the frogs too  :'(
some might find this strange but I personally find this much harder to cope with.  frogs often scream when being played with by cats, a scream you wouldn't imagine they could make and they can play with them till they die but they never eat them (someone might prove me wrong on this).  chivers who was a bird catcher, a collector of a neighbours goldfish was also a molester of frogs.  It got so bad that in the end we filled in our tiny pond and took all the frogs (obviously missed a few) to a local pond about a mile away.
having said all this I loved him dearly and it brok my heart when he was hit by a car and killed :)
and I still think your merlin is a handsome boy.

also pleased you've got the hang of posting photos, the more the better  :)

MM

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2005, 12:02:35 »
wow!baggy!merlin11 is the spitting image of our freedy minus a bit of white!
lovely boy
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2005, 12:03:31 »
almost all shorthaired freddy types we have met have a fludffy sort of bunny fur coat..has merlin?
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2005, 17:06:34 »
What lovely photos-I still miss the ones now departed,but there is one consolation? Cleo and Rags are lazy ladies so there are birds nesting in the garden again.

That frog scream is eerie-wish I still had frogs,the garden used to be full of them until two years ago-the grass snakes moved in and took them all.

Stephan

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2005, 18:22:49 »
That's two Merlins I want now!   ;)

I am fortunate in that my two nearly-17 year olds don't bother the birds.  Fletcher brought a live Magpie, about as big as him, through the cat flap when he was 6 months old and the experience seems to have put him off for life.  (I caught it in a towel and let it go - it seemed none the worse for wear.)  We get the odd wood mouse and that's about it.

Tiger, on the other hand , looks like he might be trouble when he gets braver.  He's already chasing my large frog around and today he scaled the Jasmine - persumably after a bird.  Thing is, he makes so much noise I should imagine he scares off the birds 3 gardens down!   ;D 

I hope it stays that way...

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2005, 20:01:38 »
My Merlin has very soft fur.  He is a British shorthair but to be honest he is just a mog to me - I could never tell the difference apart from him being totally grey.  (no optical illusion stripes )  The frog he was harassing didn't scream so he either killed it outright or it was doing the I'm-dead-so-don't-bother act.  Let's hope it was the latter. ???
Get with the beat Baggy

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2005, 20:07:31 »
freddy must have a lot of bb in him-but he has a white tummy too-so far from pure bred-arent their faces lovely and round...i think frogs do play dead.....and i dont think they like to gnash them(cats i mean)as they taste nasty.....
lets hope your frogs ok anyway...
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2005, 22:05:07 »
Just catching up with the messages on this thread, but sad to say I still cannot see some of the photos :'(  Can see the one of Bunty & Doris though - what a great photo :)

Talking of frogs 'playing dead', we found what we thought was a dead baby newt indoors the other night.  I gently picked it up - it was not stiff so I hoped it wasn't dead.  I put it outside and when I looked in the morning it had gone, so hopefully had found its way back to the pond.

Hopefully next time I look, the photos will re-appear :-\ :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2005, 22:11:12 »
Hi Gardengirl
Sorry Bunty and Doris should read Myrtle and Doris, mum and daughter.  I have just changed it.  It's strange about not being able to see some of the photos, I can't either and yet I have put them on in exactly the same way.  ???

MM

maz

• Acre
« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2005, 08:23:12 »
Aww what a fab pic of the two of them together.

I have something similar of Alice ( on the left) with her adopted sis Hannah. I lost Hannah this time last year at the age of 15 . :'(  She was such a sweetie taking to Alice in the way she did.  :-*

A friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg,
even though you are slightly cracked.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2005, 09:06:19 »
what a pair of cuties!
hannah looks very like maisy,doris's sister...
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2005, 09:27:06 »
A lovely pic maz, but I feel sad for you to have lost Hannah, it's like losing a part of you. :'(  Still I know you will have so many lovely memories as I know kitty does of doris. :)
Some people say the pain of losing a pet is too much and they will never have another.  Not me, they give so much to us, that  the pain of their passing is a price I'm prepared to pay.  I can't imagine my life for long without a cat about the place.  :)

MM

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2005, 11:56:38 »
Talking of togetherness, I thought you might like to see this photo of one of my dogs (Busby) with one of our cats (Penny).  They absolutely love one another.  Please excuse Busby encroaching on the cat's thread ;) :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2005, 14:47:43 »
thanks gardengirl for the lovely photo, I do so love to see cats and dogs getting on. :)

MM

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2005, 15:58:14 »
cant understand it when people say they wont get another cat/dog when their furry chum dies-if you didnt have that bit of pain at the end you'd never have all that pleasure would you?

i love 'em,me!! ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2005, 22:23:22 »
Awww, Maz and Gardengirl, such beautiful pics, thanks for sharing. 

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

maz

• Acre
« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2005, 11:24:00 »
Oh georgie I could bore for Britain about my pets, both here and gone.

I have similar pics like GG's of my black lab with cats and kittens. Im setting up my MSN site and doing pages for them. I know..... I need a job, lol.  ;D
A friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg,
even though you are slightly cracked.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2005, 19:51:59 »
Well, you certainly won't bore us.   ;D

G xx

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2005, 19:54:47 »
I agree with Georgie, so how about putting some pics on here maz of your lab with cats and kittens.  :)

MM

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal