Author Topic: Gardeners and their cats  (Read 44701 times)

Melanie

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Gardeners and their cats
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2005, 11:54:03 »
Gorgeous photos!

I had a cat-tastic day yesterday. Went to Marwell Zoo to see the ?amur tigers (used to be called Siberian) and their three cubs. Still fluffy with slightly oversized limbs. V. cute. Didn't take photos though--two were indoors so behind glass and I couldn't get a decent view of the other one (posing outside with dad). Harrumph. But loads of big cats: snow leopards (the old one seemed rather agitated--that's the down side of zoos. Apparently there's a new improved enclosure being built.) Oh, and some teeny cats too--sand cats, I think they were called? I only saw one, curled up in a ball sleeping (as I expect our Katje was back home).

Given our wee discussion about the merits or otherwise of cat mint, do you think that  if I plant some next to my compost bin I can avoid the mouse-nest in compost bin horror I've read about? Or even worse, rats.... I know they have rats on the other side of the allotment site and I do not want to see any on my plot.

Best,
Melanie

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2005, 16:12:51 »
Could be a plan, Melonie, but then again are you prepared for Katje - that is the name of your cat isn't it? - to start bring home little 'presents' if mice/rats do decide the compost bin looks comfy?

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2005, 17:44:51 »
Hi Melanie,
I can see where you're coming from regarding the catmint but if you want to keep mice out of the compost I would think the best thing would be to make sure it doesn't get too dry.  I wouldn't think they would nest in compost that was on the damp side and being turned or forked or whatever you do with yours woud disturb them.  I have read about the mice in compost but they have all been on lotties where the compost has been left for some time, from the previous resident.
We have mice, I'm sure, under our shed in the garden and from time to time I catch Merlin playing with a terrified mouse.  Some times I can save it by catching Merlin not the mouse!!
Other times I find a little body on the lawn, thankfully he doesn't bring them into the house, well not often.  Horrid as it may sound I would rather he caught mice than our Blackbirds, but I don't expect the mice see it that way.

MM x

Melanie

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2005, 11:34:44 »
Katje does bring us mouse presents from the garden (not the allotment--it's a couple of miles away). Alas for her (but not for the mice), the garden isn't as much of a mouse paradise as it used to be (landlord has done some tidying up). However, I am grateful for her mousing skills because every so often one of the little blighters breaks in to our house. The first we know of it is usually the cat deciding to sleep downstairs instead of on the bed, and then we know to shut the bedroom door that night. They're definitely getting in of their own accord: we don't have a cat flap, so she's not bringing them in.

I've taken her away from a mouse a couple of times--could be why I'm not her favourite any more--but the best mouse trick I've seen is when one plays dead until she gets bored (it really does happen).... She comes in for a snack and mouse gets up and runs as fast as it can. She is most confused when she goes back to the spot where she left it.

In the two years Katje's been with us she's only caught one bird. Thankfully, she doesn't seem to know how to handle them. She miaows at birds, especially blackbirds and crows, and she ducks when they fly past her! We've watched her stalking them and really she's totally incompetent at it--runs at the wrong time, or miaows. I don't know if it's frustration or what that makes her miaow, but I'm glad for it. She seems positively scared of crows--I've never seen a cat scared like that before.

So, damp compost regularly turned it is then....

Best,
Melanie

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2005, 16:17:07 »
As those that look at this thread are obviously daft about cats, thought you'd like to see one of Merlin sun-bathing between showers this afternoon

he was so relaxed  :)

MM

maz

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2005, 18:31:27 »
  :o     ;D   99% of my pics of Alice are of her when shes aleep in some strange postions MM.

He is rather gorgeous isnt he?     Had he been busy in the garden up to then?  ;) ;D
A friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg,
even though you are slightly cracked.

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2005, 18:39:19 »
hi maz, yes he is adorable (but of course I am bias) and very loving.  :)
No he hadn't been doing anything strenuous, just wandering around checking things over and making sure he still had some catmint.  But he loves to be outside when it is sunny, Toby (dog) is the same.

MM

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2005, 18:52:20 »
Lovely photo of Merlin MM - he is such a beautiful cat :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2005, 18:53:39 »
Thanks Gardengirl  :)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2005, 12:18:01 »
Oh MM.....just remember,  when you are fed up of him, I asked first! 

;) ;D ;) ;D ;) ;D

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2005, 15:10:04 »
OK Georgie you're first in the queue  :)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2005, 21:31:42 »
Hi MM.  I've been trying to reply all day but I'm having trouble posting pictures for some reason.  Despite reducing them as normal they are appearing huge.   ???

Anyway, I'm going to try once more.  This is my naughty Tiger squashning my carrots!

Love G xx

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2005, 22:06:54 »
Oh Georgie, bless him.  I've heard that carrot leaves make very comfy bedding  ;D ;D
And you do realise that when I get fed up with Merlin and you come to claim him, I will want Tiger as payment.  I can't pass by a brown tabby without a chat.

MM

maz

• Acre
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2005, 20:14:56 »
 ;D Naughty boy!

Why do they do things like that? Its not as if he fits is it? lololol 

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2005, 21:34:40 »
LOL. I knew there would be a catch, MM.   ;)

And no, Maz, but when did that every stop a cat I wonder?   ::)

G xx

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2005, 00:11:32 »
Here's our Lily

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2005, 06:49:39 »
What a sweety, how old is she MT.  Only a few weeks I would think as it looks like she still has blue eyes  :)

MM

maz

• Acre
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2005, 08:42:08 »
Awwww............  :-*  thats for Lily not you Merry  ;)

The black and white are my favs but Ive had all sorts of different colours. I even had a white one like Spook.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2005, 09:46:30 »
What a little cutie Lily is - absolutely adorable  :-* :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2005, 21:22:18 »
Yes she was 5 weeks old then, she's 7 years now but still very small as she's half Siamese.

This is Buster, sadly a birdkiller extraordinaire at this time of year but very lovable nevertheless

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal