Author Topic: Planting broad beans now?  (Read 1501 times)

florence

• Not So New ...
Planting broad beans now?
« on: August 02, 2017, 08:56:23 »
Thompson and Morgan seeds are half price in the garden centres now, & Suttons seeds were doing two packets for the price of one.... I've bought some broad bean seeds that say they can be planted in July & August for harvest in November. They are variety Luz de Otono from Suttons. Has anyone grown these or planted broad beans at this time of the year and how did they do?
I normally plant broad beans in November to overwinter and another in spring...
Thanks for any advice.

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
Re: Planting broad beans now?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 09:34:39 »
I have 10 plants of  Luz de Otono broad beans as part of a pay postage offer with (I think) Kitchen Garden magazine and DT Brown. I thought I would like to try a new idea! (to me!) . They looked nice plants when they arrived on 13 July when I planted them. They seem to be doing well so far. I will let you know in November! Like you, I normally sow broad beans in October/November to overwinter and have always had success. I don't know what makes this variety a late sower, but it has got to be worth a go to get fresh beans in November!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 10:20:22 »
Definately worth a go.Not much to lose, at worst you will have added to your biomass for composting!!
 Noting that you are in temperate Somerset, you stand a chance, pollination might be an issue, so 'companion plant' with something that may be attracting bees etc in October ( heather?), Any chance you have a large poly cloche or can make one?, to give some shelter from the extra rain forecast this year( see Jetstream)
Soak seed, get them going quick, grow on , you have to catch up /extend the season by 2-4 weeks in my view. Good luck, please report.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

florence

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 15:40:11 »
Thanks - I'll give them a go & plant some tomorrow. If there's a crop in November they will be welcome at that time of year.

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 18:16:00 »
Good idea on the companion planting.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal