Author Topic: Message to GH / Shed manufacturers  (Read 4667 times)

picman

• Acre
Message to GH / Shed manufacturers
« on: August 01, 2017, 14:47:34 »
We are not 5 Feet tall... Is it just me ? Why are greenhouse and shed doors so low ? occasionally I forget to duck... now have an almost permanent cut on my poor scalp...  :BangHead:

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
Re: Message to GH / Shed manufacturers
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 12:50:24 »
Sounds like you need to hang one of those fly chain things they have in front of low bridges.

Watching tall people bang into things is entertaining, but I prefer comedy without shadenfreude.

Cheers.

With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

rowbow

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 11:08:31 »
We are not 5 Feet tall... Is it just me? Why are the greenhouse and shed doors so low ? occasionally I forget to duck... now have an almost permanent cut on my poor scalp...  :BangHead:
Use a length of pipe insulation, it should cushion the blow.
John
Spring has arrived I am so excited I have wet my PLANTS

picman

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 10:25:04 »
Thanks rowbow , will give it a try...

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 20:23:24 »
Much Sympathy. In my old shed I bashed my head on the roof so many times I thought I should get a crash helmet! Wasn't helped by me having a bit of glaucoma which meant the very top of my visual field was missing.
My new shed is on a layer of bricks so when I leave it I am stepping down so I am less likely to bash my bonce (Still do it though occasionally!)

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 08:19:13 »
What is the problem :glasses9:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 08:59:32 »
I have always built a stub wall to raise greenhouses by about 400mm(3 bricks on edge) to give headroom (I'm 6ft.) Its not just the ducking -in to avoid but the likelihood of standing up and breaking glass with one's head. The way for manufacturers to improve their product would be to create a door which easily adjusts for length, which cannot be too difficult, just make oversize and cut on site. This would eliminate the threshold, permitting a small wheelbarrow to enter.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 10:29:09 »
That's a great idea AF - after all, the lowest panes get very little light, and you could always use an old frame with twinwall PC on the S side.

Do you rawlplug the house into the stub wall? I'd worry (slightly) about them lifting out in a high wind (they always say the mortar is only there because it's cheaper than bricks - it holds them apart - it doesn't actually hold them together).

I was once tempted to turn a cold frame into a greenhouse by digging the path down 3 feet - but it was in the wrong place (near the bottom of the hill) so it would have become a sheep-dip in winter.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 14:02:04 »
Vin,
Yes, fastened* to the top course with screws and plugs.This is really to stop lateral movement during assembly , unless challenged by a tornado, I dont think lifting is likely.Always have been in a relatively sheltered location.

Located initially so that the screws may be tightened after glazing, otherwise its easy to pin it down out of true.

Taller cold frames come together if, as I was fortunate to secure ,for nix, a quantity of 12 identical glazed 36"x18" wooden sashes  while at the council tip. The donor not only unloaded/loaded them for me,he also apologised that they were slightly faded in paint!!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal