Author Topic: Halo Blight on Runner Beans  (Read 2353 times)

Mart56

• Not So New ...
Halo Blight on Runner Beans
« on: July 31, 2017, 18:41:07 »
I've had this problem for a couple of years though it seems worst in one part of the garden.  Are there any runner beans that are more resistant to this disease?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Halo Blight on Runner Beans
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 20:10:47 »
first welcome to a4a if there is I'm sure someone on here  will know however the only thing i know is if you soak your beans prior to planting it makes them more susceptible  to halo blight hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 21:35:01 »
Hello Mart56, Welcome to the forum  :wave:

One of my favourites Red Rum says on the packet it has some resistance to Halo Blight, by how much, I don't know. But it is (imo) a lovely runner, quick to set a crop and I find good for growing in a poly -tunnel for either early or late season crops.  Great tasting too. Sorry I'm not aware of any others.

Clearing up any infected plant material and disposing of it helps prevent spreading, don't compost it. I think it is can remain dormant in the soil for some time so if you have a fresh area to grow in next year, you may have better results. Or perhaps growing in containers might be possible? Plus from memory, I believe it is is transferable through saved seeds so start with fresh seed next year if you have been using your own. It's also possible, although unlikely that bought seed may have been the source of infection so again, use fresh.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Mart56

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 09:39:02 »
Thanks Jayb.  I disposed of all my bean waste last year rather than compost, use new seeds and don't soak.  Perhaps that has led to less blight this year than last.  I'll just have to keep up the method and try Red Rum.  It would be a real shame not to be able to grow beans.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal