Author Topic: Oops- mistaken identity!  (Read 1935 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Oops- mistaken identity!
« on: July 25, 2017, 19:18:54 »
I couldn't find the labels among all the foliage of my courgettes and pumpkins and thought i was picking di Nizza round courgettes. When i got how and looked at the packets I realised I'd picked immature Tonda Padana pumpkins- at least I think so!  Am I right in hinking the Di Nizza don't have ridges on the skin, just stripes?

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: Oops- mistaken identity!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 22:02:24 »
It is easily done.

I have a row of Romanesco Calabrese that are now getting good hearts and have turned out to be cauliflower. I've no idea how if I picked up the wrong seed packet, or simply got the labels confused.
Good eating, just a bit unexpected.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Borderers1951

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 06:46:23 »
It is easily done.

I have a row of Romanesco Calabrese that are now getting good hearts and have turned out to be cauliflower. I've no idea how if I picked up the wrong seed packet, or simply got the labels confused.
Good eating, just a bit unexpected.

Perhaps the packet was labelled incorrectly - I planted seeds from a new packet  labelled as Ailsa Craig toms this year and now I'm picking yellow cherry tomatoes instead.  It's happened twice in the last two years.  Last year on my previous plot I got purple sprouting broccoli when the packet I bought was for calabrese seeds.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 20:04:09 »
I'd like to blame the packet but I think it's more likely to be me!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 11:23:13 »
I couldn't find the labels among all the foliage of my courgettes and pumpkins and thought i was picking di Nizza round courgettes. When i got how and looked at the packets I realised I'd picked immature Tonda Padana pumpkins- at least I think so!  Am I right in hinking the Di Nizza don't have ridges on the skin, just stripes?

Baby pumpkins have a slightly nutty flavour and firmer texture - I find they make the very best battered fritters* - this probably means they would be better for the grill/barbecue too.

*Aubergine fritters would be off-topic - though they're even better.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 23:08:15 »
Once planted what I thought was a blueberry bush. Turned out to be goat willow and was a bu**er to dig out.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal