Author Topic: cucumbers  (Read 1983 times)

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
cucumbers
« on: July 22, 2017, 16:59:41 »
Can I use  cucumbers instead of courgettes in recipes as I have a glut   

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 18:14:00 »
think i would just drink loads of pimms until they had all gone  :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 23:36:58 »
Would have been a good idea but teetotal  lol

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 06:37:11 »
I have cooked many 'salad' vegetables including cucumbers. If you cook them chopped in the way courgettes are they retain their 'bite' longer than courgettes. In other words they don't cook so quickly.

Being ninety nine per cent water you could try blitzing them in a blender or liquidiser using the resultant slush as a base for your dish. :happy7:

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 11:07:31 »
Make gherkins or bread and butter pickles.  I can't wait to have enough to do this with!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 13:46:46 »
I am not a great cucumber eater but I do like the tzatziki.  It goes very nicely with spicy meat.  There are different types, it is basically greek style yoghurt and cucumber.  I know it with mint and or parsley and dill  as well.   Turkish is called Cacik.
You can stir fry cucumber though I think it tends to be wetter than courgette. 

florence

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 20:49:05 »
I wouldn't use cucumbers instead of courgettes. When I have a glut I make tzatziki - grate the cucumber and squeeze out the moisture. Mix with greek yoghurt, chopped dill and add garlic. Ideally chill before eating as a dip.
Our local cafe will also swap spare produce for coffee/ cake etc so you might have a local cafe or restaurant who will do an exchange with you.
Unfortunately cucumbers have been terrible for me this year so no glut to swap.....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal