Author Topic: Dulcie, not feeling himself  (Read 6582 times)

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
Re: Dulcie, not feeling himself
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2017, 07:26:53 »
A vet once persuaded me to have one of our cats put down. After I felt strongly that we had let her down because although she was obviously not in a good way she still had some quality of life and could have been treated.

The cat before the two we have now was nineteen years old before he had the final injection. although he was an old cat at the end of his life I did not allow the vet to put him to sleep the day we went because he still had some quality of life left. He stopped eating the following week and was injected a day or two after so he had an extra week of life with me believing I allowed him to go the very end rather than be persuaded to foreshorten his life. (He was not in pain just really old)

As cats age they naturally slow down. How old is Dulce? If he came to sit on your lap that is a good sign. He is able to move about without discomfort and appears to be urinating ok, even if not in the place you would like. Hopefully the vet will see that putting the cat down is unnecessary. Perhaps all these vets visits are a costly overreaction and the Dulce is rebelling against them. I don't mean to sound uncaring. :wave:

Also if he is more active the pills may be having an effect. Perhaps you should give them more time to work.

I do hope Dulce get better soon, Borlotti.  :happy7:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 07:29:22 by ed dibbles »

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2017, 11:39:57 »
How is Dulce now?  Have the pills started to work and is he feeling better?  My thoughts are with you.  xx

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2017, 13:59:39 »
Vet today at 9 am (local vet) and he peed in the carrier in the car, again, again. So that was good for him, not so good for OH's car. He has had another injection and more antibiotics for 7 more days, and pills for his anxiety, but I can get them on line or from the vet and they are not too expensive.  He should have these for life.  He has cleared off in the garden hiding under a tarpaulin, but will probably come back tonight. Local vet was great and not too expensive, apparently I paid £152 for the emergency vet last week (plus another £50 for the injection, pills).  Should have waited until the morning, but good to know if they are in pain can go night or day.  As OH said I am Miss panic button, but haven't told him how much it cost. Vet said she would not have a male cat again, after her last experience with this blockage problem, and said it can reoccur so have to keep an eye on him.  Also they loved his photo in the knitting magazine and asked permission to put it on the Barnet Hospital website, so will check to see if he is famous.  He wasn't the star letter this month in the knitting magazine so we didn't get any wool or cat treats. He loves his new cupboard box, and that saved me money.  Am going to take the Sheba cat food to the RSPCA as he is only allowed prescription food now, but fish with water in once a week. Should have got pet insurance but he was not originally my cat, I have always had animals and I was short of money then, but can't remember the vet bills being so expensive in the good old days, and the cats just ate the left overs from our meals, not all this expensive cat food, which probably causes the problem, they get too fat. I have learnt my lesson, make an appointment, not wait and hope it will go away it they are acting odd, then pay more for an emergency visit.

pumkinlover

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2017, 08:47:27 »
Hope you have some better news today.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2017, 09:08:36 »
Thinking of you both and lovely Dulcie, hope today is better.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2017, 11:58:51 »
He seems OK today, apart from the fact he is on top of the kitchen cupboards and OH wants to paint kitchen. He didn't come in until 10 pm last night after vets visit, and was very hungry.  Well I am not worrying about him anymore at present and off to pick beans, blackberries, courgettes, raspberries hopefully.  :sunny: :sunny:  I have a great idea, using the plastic greenhouse cover that I have but not the poles as the wind destroyed it.  Will try to get OH to build a wooden frame, with a top and shelf and the cat can go outside in that, as he used to love sleeping on top of the plastic greenhouse.  Better do some sweet talking to OH.  :sunny: :sunny:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal