Author Topic: Flowers to sow now?  (Read 1388 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Flowers to sow now?
« on: July 21, 2017, 10:29:38 »
My son and his partner are moving in to their first home (ell first owned home)this weekend. I was wondering if there are any flowers he could sow in the next few weeks which would flower this year? They are in the south- Walthamstowe to b precise.

Nora42

• Acre
Re: Flowers to sow now?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 13:16:53 »
Not sure sowing flowers would work now, you could advise him to sow hardy annuals in September for flowering in early spring. or check out the local garden centre for bedding plants. Walthamstow  isn't too far from cruise hill and if he goes there the gardening club has good deals on basic bedding plants.
Nora
Norf London

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 15:23:29 »
I would go for fast hardy annuals like calendula, nigella, poppies. Even if the don't make it to flower by the frosts they will be early in the spring. Other things to consider are wallflowers sweet William, primroses, autumn flowering crocus and of course it's very nearly bulb planting time. Other fast things are salads, cabbage, radish, beetroot etc.  this week I'm sowing lupins hollyhocks, sweet William, calendula and statice and more salad and coriander. Just do something! You never know we might have an Indian summer and still be in shorts in October! That's a good three months for things to grow and flower. X sunloving

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 15:41:03 »
most of the bi annuals you can so now foxgloves and the like
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal