Author Topic: Runner beans  (Read 5468 times)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Runner beans
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2017, 21:12:12 »
today a fellow plot holder told me how she stores her runners and keeps them for weeks like this wash them shake the excess water off put them in a bag stand them in the fridge so the stem part is down and they are suppose to last for ages  ive tried some today so i will leave them in the fridge for as long as they last and see just how long they will store for anyone tried this ?
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2017, 13:25:59 »
Tried the above recipe today- definitely an improvement on the usual mushiness. Had it with bread but think it woud go well with pasta. smaller beans worked better in terms of crunch.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2017, 20:30:15 »
If I get enough this year, I will eat them or give them away.  Have tried freezing them, with blanching or not, and still the taste was rubbish. Not too many yet, so may change my mind, with all the rain today.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2017, 20:34:20 »
I cooked my mountain of  beans, shredded, on friday evening, kind of like a ratatouille. with whatever courgettes I had gathered over three days plus shallots, garlic and a tin of tomatoes, oregano and frozen parsley and some wine. Let them simmer very slowly for 90 minutes and then left them to cool all night and put them in the fridge for another whole day. to let the flavour develop. I packed six boxes to freeze yesterday and left some out for today, thinking I would bake it with added fish but I was in a hurry and just put two slices of halloumi in a dry pan and had those toasted halloumi with the cold ratatouille. It was gorgeous

Tomorrow I will go and pick again and also again on thurday and there should be enough beans and courgettes to make another few boxes full. I am not freezing any beans as pure beans this year. That ratatouille or whatever version I can make is far far nicer

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2017, 20:47:25 »
We too now prefer to make ratatouille or such like and freeze that rather than the runner beans alone. I've not had any runner beans yet this year, though!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2017, 21:18:27 »
I've just found a big jar I forgot we had so I am going to salt some beans tomorrow, just to see what they are like later in the year. Loads of beans that are going spare anyway, so apart from a bag of salt nothing wasted. The old Women's Institute book suggests making a bucketful. Just a jar this year though.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2017, 07:32:49 »
I used to salt beans but using brine, never liked them either but its a good way of preserving rather than using freezer space. Better than that was dehydrating them and popping them into soups, it didn`t change the flavour, like freezing or brining. This year, however, I am going down the ratat route as these were incredibly useful last winter, especially for CBA times, having to cook for only myself almost all of the time.

I went to the allotment last night after all, it was still light enough and brought a big bag of beans home, two courgettes, smallish ones and a sweet tender duncan cabbage, medium sized after stripping. They are all making another ratat just now, this time I added the usual parsley, shallots, garlic, wine and tomatoes but not oregano. I added mediterranean herbs which are entirely different to oregano, they have fennel seeds in them, which go nicely with cabbage

Looks as though I am going to have enough of this instant vegetable food for the whole winter. There are plenty of young beans hanging and several tiny courgettes. It is good for soup basis, casseroles and quiches as well as lovely on its own

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2017, 11:23:50 »
Picked my beans, came home, put the beans down to open the door and the dogs started stealing them and running under the caravan to eat them. I chased them out and the spaniel cocked its leg. Guess where? No beans today.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2017, 18:40:07 »
I once had a very lovely spicey tomato and green bean dish in Istanbul.  I might try recreating it and trying to freeze that. 

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2017, 01:08:18 »
At last I'm getting to pick some runners, albeit small, but I've got loads of tiny beans on the plants, whoopeeee!

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2017, 11:44:52 »
I just removed and chopped 2 plants for my hotbin. A few flowers left on the other 4. Tbh am so glad to be finishing with them, its been overload, although a nice overload and am well stocked with frozen product for all through autumn and winter

Good luck terrier

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2017, 12:58:24 »
I once had a very lovely spicey tomato and green bean dish in Istanbul.  I might try recreating it and trying to freeze that. 

If the recipe is successful, can you share it with us please? 

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2017, 16:20:40 »

Although this is Greek- it is delicious and possibly very similar to what you have in mind:

https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/greek-style-green-beans

The key is to be very patient and don't stir the pot (maybe that is a life lesson in itself).

Also- it freezes very well...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 16:33:37 by DrJohnH »

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2017, 21:11:04 »

Although this is Greek- it is delicious and possibly very similar to what you have in mind:

https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/greek-style-green-beans

The key is to be very patient and don't stir the pot (maybe that is a life lesson in itself).

Also- it freezes very well...

I made something much like that at the weekend - delicious with roast chicken - and freezed more.

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2017, 16:52:51 »
few beans today
i don't belive death is the end

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2017, 13:34:46 »
I put out some runners but so far they are rubbish, getting a couple of beans on them now. I have got quite a good pick from Cobra (in my mind, the best bean out of the lot, always reliable and I find that the climbing beans are much easier to pick!) and also some Neckarskonigin that I got from Lidl (about 50p a packet!)! They make like a small runner bean, a flattish bean, climbs like Cobra. Have to pick them small but they were tasty and there are loads growing. Only a few weeks from sowing to harvest. This year I was very good with the beans, tried to sow every fortnight and as they went in later, they missed the extreme heatwaves we have had. Been eating beans for about ten days now, quite plenty for us two.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal