Author Topic: What DON’T slugs like to eat  (Read 2209 times)

mormor

• Half Acre
What DON’T slugs like to eat
« on: July 19, 2017, 18:26:43 »
This year is really terrible for slugs. So I thought “Next year I’ ll only grow veg. that slugs don’t eat."
Next though: "What don’t they like?”  So please....all suggestions are welcome so I can plan for 2018!
near Copenhagen, Denmark

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: What DON’T slugs like to eat
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 18:33:59 »
i found they find them little blue pellets hard to digest in fact it seems to be terminal :sunny: :sunny:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 19:04:44 »
conifers / rosemary /lavender/ geranium  :toothy10:
i don't belive death is the end

mormor

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 19:31:52 »
Yes, but the little blue pellets cost a fortune here in Denmark, and you can’t eat conifers and geraniums!  Other suggestions?
near Copenhagen, Denmark

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 19:44:11 »
For veg that can withstand slug attack or aren't affected so much I suggest:
Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrot (once past the seedling stage) broad bean, chicory, shallots, onion (from sets), garlic, leek. jerusalem artichoke, Parsnip and salsify.

Others will no doubt disagree as their slugs chomp from my list. :happy7:

They also don't touch yacon.

For ornamentals slugs don't seem to eat a lot of grasses apart from sweet corn seedling seedlings of course.  :happy7:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 21:14:52 »

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 14:16:42 »
They also don't touch yacon.

It's true they don't like the hairs, but I have a blind yacon still in its 1L pot that got that way because something ate the tiny top bud - it's possible a slug got there over a leaf of something else. It is surprising it hasn't produced any new shoots from anywhere in the last month - they normally appear from the original tuber - I didn't want to plant it before it recovered but now I think it might not recover unless I plant it.

The moral is - keep sprouting yacon under cover until it is properly hairy (it needs that extra heat to get it going anyway) and then give it space.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 06:26:50 »
Why are little blue pellets so expensive in Denmark.  You can get them here in poundland.   But you do not need many pellets, people often use far too many.

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 13:17:17 »
My Broadies are about the only things in my veg garden NOT attacked by slugs, good job I like broad beans.

Borderers1951

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 18:30:16 »
I can't speak from personal experience but the gentleman whose plot adjoins mine has three raised beds through which he rotates lettuces, caulis and carrots.  He keeps them fertilised but always mixes gritty sand  into the top inch or so.  He claims to get little or no slug damage as they don't like crawling over the rough texture.  I may try that next year.  Has anyone had any similar experience to my neighbour?

mormor

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 20:48:11 »
Yes, maybe sand on top is a good idea.  And why are the pellets expensive? We have 25% VAT to start with! And anything that might be poison has extra tax to stop gardeners using them!
near Copenhagen, Denmark

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 20:57:59 »
We have 25% VAT to start with! And anything that might be poison has extra tax to stop gardeners using them!

And some wonder why the UK is coming out of the European Union? :icon_cheers:

Even if we wanted to pay for it we can't, because Europe has banned the UK from using many poisonous products. :BangHead:

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 17:28:09 »
Yes, but the little blue pellets cost a fortune here in Denmark, and you can’t eat conifers and geraniums!  Other suggestions?
Are they taxed?

Taxing the pellets might be a way to force gardeners to give up and use greengrocers instead - this would make non-gardeners slightly richer (especially the politicians who got the backhander).

However, putting Mr Cynical back in his box... - the key question is whether the ferric phosphate pellets are cheaper in Denmark? That really would be evidence that the Danes (or at least their law-makers) are smarter than us.

They do have 14% more Nobel prizes per capita than we do - putting them very near the top, though their small population puts a tiny question mark against the statistical significance.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Seacarrot

• Quarter Acre
  • Two Greenhouses and a fab new shed.
    • The Cynical Gardener
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 19:37:15 »
Slugs don't like to eat weeds.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 21:29:10 »
Slugs will eat my Jerusalem artichokes, but not too badly, both shoots and tubers.

Generally, if you are planting things out rather than sowing direct, let your plants get as big as you can before putting them out - they are tougher and so less attractive and more resistant if attacked.

Of potatoes, I find that Kestrel reliably has little damage to the tubers, but I've not lifted mine yet this year. Charlotte do OK too.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal