Author Topic: potatoes  (Read 2453 times)

GRACELAND

• Hectare
potatoes
« on: July 19, 2017, 16:49:08 »
ADVICE OR RECOMENDATIONS PLEASE
            Need to grow 1st earlies or 2nd   good disease resistant type any  ideas  I live in Gloucestershire fairly good soil want a waxy kind though not flowery !
i don't belive death is the end

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
Re: potatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 17:02:11 »
I like Pentland Javelin, you can dig them as small early potatoes (but not one of the earliest varieties here) or leave them til the haulms die back, when the potatoes are much bigger, but still just as tasty.

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 17:11:20 »
 'Kestrel' i grew this yr although  looking good see in picture  There the floury kind  i want a waxy type

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 17:12:53 »
I like Pentland Javelin, you can dig them as small early potatoes (but not one of the earliest varieties here) or leave them til the haulms die back, when the potatoes are much bigger, but still just as tasty.

SOUNDS QUITE GOOD THANKS

An average looking first early potato but Pentland Javelin comes tops for taste. Best used as boiled in salads or as new potatoes this is a waxy variety which keeps its shape well. The skin is light brown with very few eyes, the flesh is light cream which stays that colour when cooked. The plants are of medium height so can be grown in most conditions. Disease resistance is above average and this variety suffers very little slug damage.

POSITIVE POINTS FOR PENTLAND JAVELIN
Top tasting new potato, can be left in the ground to mature further.

NEGATIVE POINTS FOR PENTLAND JAVELIN
No significant negative points, although this variety takes a week or two longer to bulk up compared to other first earlies.

picman

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 17:20:22 »
Tried many pots over the years , but Charlotte takes some beating .... 80 days and they are ready ...

https://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,81258.0.html

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 17:27:19 »
Tried many pots over the years , but Charlotte takes some beating .... 80 days and they are ready ...

https://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,81258.0.html

Charlotte  Sadly i put in two small rows and sadly very poor  growth  compared to Kestrel' in same bed   maybe the soil in theses parts ! or poor seed ?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 18:06:43 »
only one potato from me nadine  :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Borderers1951

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 18:13:53 »
I'll go along with Plot 18.  Whenever I have grown earlies they have been Pentland Javelin.

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 18:14:14 »

ODD ain't it maybe its the areas we live ?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 18:28:33 »

ODD ain't it maybe its the areas we live ?
indeed i think that has a lot to do with it also advice handed down on the sites i always try a new one every year this year it was daisy trying them tomorrow so shall report on flavour but personally for flavour its nadine its a second early to me it tastes like it has butter on it without any  if i had  a potato merchant near me id try two or three new ones each year just buying what i need  however i have to buy by the 2.5 kilo bag so one new one a year will do for now

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 19:03:40 »
not heard  of daisy let us know ta

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 20:48:08 »
if i had  a potato merchant near me id try two or three new ones each year just buying what i need  however i have to buy by the 2.5 kilo bag so one new one a year will do for now

I thought as site manager you would have that situation covered Johnny!

What we do is a few of us will say what we would like to grow prior to placing an order.

Initially we order by number rather than weight, and as we know there are roughly 12-13 tubers per kilo (30-33 per 2.5kilo bag) we tally up the numbers we would like to grow of each variety then divide the total requested  by (30-33).

This determines how many of each variety to buy.

Then we order enough 2.5 kilo bags of each variety to meet our total needs.

When they arrive we sometimes have a bit of juggling to do particularly if the seeds are large or small as this affects the number per kilo.

For example if they are large this means that you get less per kilo or if they are small you get more per kilo

As I say it never works out exact as some of us may have more of this and less of that to what was ordered but at least we do not end up with more than we need in total. ( A bit like Woolies " Pick and mix" big sweeties less for your penny, small ones more for your penny)

If we do have a slight surplus we bag them up in kilo bags as there is always a 'cows tail' of a plot holder who will come along at planting time and ask that perennial question:.....

have you any seed potatoes to spare? :BangHead:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 22:31:05 »
if i had  a potato merchant near me id try two or three new ones each year just buying what i need  however i have to buy by the 2.5 kilo bag so one new one a year will do for now

I thought as site manager you would have that situation covered Johnny!

What we do is a few of us will say what we would like to grow prior to placing an order.

Initially we order by number rather than weight, and as we know there are roughly 12-13 tubers per kilo (30-33 per 2.5kilo bag) we tally up the numbers we would like to grow of each variety then divide the total requested  by (30-33).

This determines how many of each variety to buy.

Then we order enough 2.5 kilo bags of each variety to meet our total needs.

When they arrive we sometimes have a bit of juggling to do particularly if the seeds are large or small as this affects the number per kilo.

For example if they are large this means that you get less per kilo or if they are small you get more per kilo

As I say it never works out exact as some of us may have more of this and less of that to what was ordered but at least we do not end up with more than we need in total. ( A bit like Woolies " Pick and mix" big sweeties less for your penny, small ones more for your penny)

If we do have a slight surplus we bag them up in kilo bags as there is always a 'cows tail' of a plot holder who will come along at planting time and ask that perennial question:.....

have you any seed potatoes to spare? :BangHead:

i know i should really i tried to do that last year we have a group of around 10/12 plot holders come to my plot for coffee at 11 most days the trouble is where we buy our seed pots from they really only do mainstream varieties  so i have to wait for a farmer friend to see  what new varieties the farm is growing to get some and yes i think every site in the country has a chap just like the one you mentioned however the farmer delivers  5  x 25kilo sacks of seed pots for free so im the man who goes around doing the opposite  excuse me do you want some seed potatoes trying to get shot of them we both play darts  the other week he says do you want some carrot seed after a few pints i replied fantastic that would be great he swiftly delivered  said seed 2 kilo of it red pelleted seed so again i was off around all the plots excuse me do you want any carrot seed  i know there are a lot of reasons why folk hide from the site manger but in this case i think its a unique one lol

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 04:54:50 »
I like Annabelle but this year it seem to have more scab than usual.

But someone likes them because they are disappearing.

Have you been to Dundry of Cheltenham, they have a huge selection.  And a good data base of all their varieties.  You can buy them by the bag or by the potato.

http://www.dundrynurseries.co.uk/list.asp

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 10:30:54 »
Surely every variety behaves different in taste etc. according to the soil, I know I have had various ones recommended even local  only to be disappointed in our garden.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 13:02:54 »
Surely every variety behaves different in taste etc. according to the soil, I know I have had various ones recommended even local  only to be disappointed in our garden.

I agree Laurie!

If someone recommends a particular variety to me ( and this applies to all my veg types) I do not give up with one of  my tried and tested varieties.

What I tend to do, is grow around 75% of my crop with the tried and tested variety and the remaining 25% with the new variety.

In this way I can get an exact comparison to see if the new variety is equal too, or better than the one I have always used.

If it is then I change,  if not I generally don't make any changes.

I can remember when I was exhibiting Dahlias and a new variety came available, or if it was a variety that I had seen and fancied at a National show I would buy it only to find sometimes  it was not suited to my growing conditions.

So basically  much as I take the likes of others on board,  I am not forced to continue with it.....as they say:....each to their own!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal