Author Topic: I don't know what to choose!!  (Read 2066 times)

michelle303

I don't know what to choose!!
« on: July 19, 2017, 15:33:42 »
I have won a voucher for Tree2MyDoor and I want to get something lovely for my patio.

I have this selection of trees for patios https://www.tree2mydoor.com/find-a-gift/by-location/trees-for-patios.html to choose from and I'm spoilt for choice.

I live in the UK, Manchester so get quite a lot of rain, (currently waiting for a storm to happen) What would all you lovely people go for?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: I don't know what to choose!!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 16:23:38 »
To my mind this is one of those questions where the answer: " is as long as a piece of string" comes into play.

Basically the answer as I think you will be aware, is in your hands

How I would approach it is:

Do I want to eat it, smell it, look at it all year round!

Then I would ask myself;  does it need a lot of maintenance, watering, feeding,pruning,re-potting  and have I  got time or the inclination to do these things.

You say you have a patio which raises environmental questions, Is the patio in an exposed spot? Will the tree want moving to a sheltered spot in the winter? Ultimately how big will it grow?

Now that I have all these questions in mind I would write them down e.g.

eat it,
smell it,
look at it all year round
watering,
feeding,
pruning,
re-potting
exposure
size

Then I would go through each of the trees on offer and put  these questions to each variety then give *** 1st choice ** 2nd choice * 3rd choice  to my   answers, at the end of the exercise I would choose the one with the most stars.

(Or I could reverse my star rating and give one* to the least problematic answer then choose the one with the lowest amount of stars)

Then again I could just go with my gut feeling and get the one that for some reason or another "is me"! :toothy10:

Now that's what I call  a 'political' answer... like the politicians I have studied the problem have calculated the best option then I have passed  the buck back to you.  :angel11:

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 17:18:02 »
I wouldn't go for a grapevine Not only do they not do very well in small containers but vine weevils will be a constant problem.  :BangHead:

Also when you read the description the variety offered is 'Brandt' that looks nothing whatever like the picture! :happy7:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 17:23:34 by ed dibbles »

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 18:31:50 »
id go for an apricot good in containers great early blossom and great yield
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

michelle303

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 14:18:13 »
Oooh thank you for your help, and what a great photo.

Very excited, Think I'm going to go for the plum tree :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal