Author Topic: PSB  (Read 1974 times)

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
PSB
« on: July 17, 2017, 18:27:11 »
Is it too late to sow PSB seeds now. I put out all my young plants and they have been blitzed, nothing was left apart from the stalks about one inch above the ground :(  Probably wishful thinking mid July but just wondered if anyone had tried.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: PSB
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 18:37:34 »
if you have spare seeds then give it a go you havent got much to loose and maybe buy 6 plants for backup from the garden centre  id give it a go
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 18:38:09 »
I have done PSB sown this late before and they don't really get very big before the winter ... they do then grow a bit in the spring but the yield is not what you'd expect from purple sprouting and it comes quite late.

A good site to get PSB and other winter greens plants from at this time of year is Robinsons (www.mammothonion.co.uk) ... they do 5 plants for £7.50 and I was very successful with them the one year my own sowings failed.

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 18:42:47 »
I've put the seeds in a deep tray of compost out in the sunshine, I'm hoping for an extended Summer, maybe until mid November  :sunny:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 18:44:36 »
I've put the seeds in a deep tray of compost out in the sunshine, I'm hoping for an extended Summer, maybe until mid November  :sunny:
thats the ticket positive thinking lol
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 20:07:17 »
Only a couple of weeks late in some respects so I am sure they should be okay ...let us know how they get on.
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 01:46:00 »

A good site to get PSB and other winter greens plants from at this time of year is Robinsons (www.mammothonion.co.uk) ... they do 5 plants for £7.50 and I was very successful with them the one year my own sowings failed.

I thought you had made a mistake with the price you typed for 5 PSB plants, Squeezyjohn, but I was amazed when I went into your link and saw that they were indeed £7.50 for 5.  I always thought they were expensive in our local garden centre where they sell 8 for £2.99. 

I would certainly think it worth sowing some seeds now than paying an arm and a leg for them. 

LesH

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 17:30:59 »
   my local HOMEBASE had 10 PSB plants last week for £1.97 as well as a range of other veg . 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal