Author Topic: Woops - Courgette ideas needed !  (Read 2908 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Woops - Courgette ideas needed !
« on: July 16, 2017, 22:47:43 »
So i accidently planted 3 courgette plants (had help thought 2 were squash) and now swimming in courgettes and a few small marrows.

The marrows i have given away and the courgettes are tomorrows dinner (courgette and bacon pasta) any other recipie ideas (exclude stuffing marrows hubbie not keen).

Appreciated :)

Cam

strawberry1

• Hectare
Re: Woops - Courgette ideas needed !
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 06:47:18 »
I have three, alexander F1 and am widow living alone but am using every one of my courgettes. This variety are brilliant for producing the courgettes high, so I can easily see them, no marrows so far. Yes I am getting lots and eating them every day but I also make a good food basic for all through winter. This was so valuable to me last year. I wait until I have a fair few in the fridge, then I slowly saute onion and garlic in olive oil and butter, add the sliced courgettes and plenty of parsley and maybe fennel and a few chopped runner beans if I have too many beans. Then I cook very slowly, lid on for a good ninety minutes. Cool and portion and freeze. This is a wonderful basis for soups and quiches and casseroles.

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 07:44:43 »
I am with strawberry on this one, I love them as a base and thickener for all sorts of meals during the winter

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 09:41:24 »
Not got my first one yet- nothing but male flowers so far, trying to be patient!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 09:59:39 »
Same here as strawberry. 

And I also freeze sliced courgettes - freeze slices on trays single layer, then pack.  In winter I heat olive oil in a pan and saute a couple of handful of courgette in a large pan with lid.  Add crushed garlic, chili, and either a few tomatoes from the freezer (paste tomatoes that were halved and frozen) or some tomato puree.  I find that aubergines are readily available throughout winter in the supermarket.  My freezer courgettes and tomatoes in conjunction with fresh aubergine make a decent ratatouille with a generous sprinkle of 'Herbes de Provence' or dried oregano from the garden.  :wave:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 10:12:29 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zwEeXH5jnU

This one does not use freezer space, lasts for years and can be taken on journeys, picnics and the like.

Personally I use pop up lids and check that they are popped down after waterbath boiling.  Also I make sure the water in the waterbath is above the jar lids not below, heat very slowly and boil for ten minutes.  :wave: 

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 10:54:27 »
I make patties and freeze them.

Put some potatoes to boil, just as they are softening, add in some courgettes in small cubes, when potatoes are done drain well.
Add some chopped onions and garlic and mash all together.( I also  added some cooked peas to the last lot, spose you could add any veg you have handy)
I stirred through some curry powder, added salt and pepper to taste and left to cool.
Shape into patties about half an inch thick and coat in breadcrumbs. (2 bags for a £1 in Tesco atm so I've stocked up!)
Freeze with greaseproof paper between layers. I usually fry these straight from frozen, til hot and golden brown. You can reheat them in the oven, but I can't remember how long they took, sorry.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 11:39:07 »
Here are some of my recipes for courgettes:

I slice them length ways about ¼ inch thick.  Brush with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and place on a barbecue solid plate or in a frying pan. 

I also love them dipped in batter and fried.  Being diabetic though, I can only have them cooked this way very occasionally.

I eat them instead of spaghetti by spiralising them first then frying them with a little oil. 

I use them instead of rice by slicing them into rings and frying them.   I put them in a bowl and cover them with a meat curry.

Pale green creamy courgettes such as Cavilli can be chopped into small pieces and eaten raw in a salad.  Yellow courgettes are also good eaten this way.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 18:25:52 »
i had chocolate courgette cake and i must say it very nice didn't get the recipe thou
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 13:27:19 »
They make a really good base for stir fries.  Slice thin and use them in place of bean sprouts.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 14:30:32 »
I slice and fry in butter/oil then top with tomato and cheese and then brown the top.
Add onions and herbs if you like them.

There used to be a site with thousands of recipes.
This one has 852.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/topics/zucchini

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 17:23:28 »
I put a couple of ideas in this forum:

https://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,81341.msg821127/topicseen.html#new

Maybe I should have posted them here.  Sorry if I messed up.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 20:42:27 »
Courgette chocolate cake - recipe posted on here and delish but I can't remember whose it is; courgette fritters; courgettes sliced, dotted with butter and garlic then topped with grated cheese and baked in a hot oven, curried with prawns (Madhur Jaffery) and any amount of recipes on BBC Good Food site.
Obxx - Vendée France

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 00:48:31 »
Liquidised with plenty of onions, garlic, ginger and the stems of coriander ... you can add them to a fried spice paste to make oodles of amazingly sweet curry sauce to freeze and bung on top of stir fried veg for an amazing home grown curry throughout the year.  It never ceases to amaze me just how many courgettes you can hide this way!

http://squeezyjohn.tumblr.com/post/29825104653/a-recipe-to-use-up-courgettes-no1-curry-sauce

I now use much more spice in this recipe ... and it can be done just as easily on the stove top as in the oven.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal