Author Topic: Marrow  (Read 1693 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Marrow
« on: August 29, 2017, 20:22:06 »
This is a round courgette (di nizza) that somehow managed to hide from me and is now the size of a football. I'm going on holiday at the end of the week for two weeks and was wondering if there's something quick I can do with it to freeze it,or will it survive until I get back?

Paulh

• Hectare
Re: Marrow
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 21:19:12 »
The large things always hide in clear view!

You have two options:

- cook it with a meat or veg filling and freeze it. This can work well as, though frozen, the taste matures, more than balancing the loss of texture following freezing (i.e. it goes a bit squishy)

- leave it in a cool, dark place until you get home and want to cook it. A marrow easily keeps for that time, courgettes may be a bit marginal.

How much spare cooking time do you have before you go away?

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: Marrow
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 11:00:22 »
Sorry if I am high jacking this thread, but on the subject of Di Nizza courgettes, does anyone know how big should they be before picking and what is the best way of slicing and cooking them?  I cut one up a few days ago that was a bit bigger than a tennis ball.  The seeds were quite big in it though unripe, so I left them in.  It wasn't as tasty as my other courgettes, so I have decided to let the DI Nizza grow into marrows. 

Some of my other courgettes had grown into marrows when we went on holiday at the beginning of this month.  My OH stuffed it using the recipe below and it was delicious.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/stuffed_marrow_43279

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal