Author Topic: Spaghetti Squash uk  (Read 3875 times)

GRACELAND

• Hectare
Spaghetti Squash uk
« on: July 04, 2017, 19:21:14 »
Spaghetti Squash, Um Grew for first time never did to well cooking went to mush ,was supposed to been strands like Spaghetti. Maybe they need to ripen abit more !!
i don't belive death is the end

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Spaghetti Squash uk
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 19:51:32 »
I thought they were harvested in the autumn. 

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 20:01:30 »
Yes, wait 'til they change colour/ripen.

How did you cook it - I cook mine like this
https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/cooking-tips-techniques/how-to-cook-spaghetti-squash

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 06:04:03 »
As Digeroo and Plot 18 said.

Graceland, if you want squash spaghetti now, you can make them with courgettes and a spiraliser kitchen gadget:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Newest-Improved-Spiralizer-Spiral-Complete/dp/B00NEAO4S2/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1499230919&sr=1-2&keywords=courgette+spiralizer

(no advertising intended, there are many others, just wanted to show how to make 'spaghetti' now)  :wave:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 06:12:16 by galina »

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 13:02:26 »
sO I PICKED TO EARLY !! I cooked  cut in half  took out seed  lay on a tray in oven 40 mins   turned mush !!

TheEssexYorkshireman

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 12:36:27 »
They only turn to mush if over cooked. 40mins is ok for the large ones but smaller would less time. It maybe worth checking every few mins after say 30 mins to get it perfect. It a fantastic vegetable - love it.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 19:57:54 »
We have grown them for several years no problem, wen we sold them at boot fairs along  with our flowers and runner beans they were very popular.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
Re: Spaghetti Squash Ukraine
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 17:32:54 »
We have just had one with our dinner today. I was very young about  8 inches in length , my wife removed the seed after cooking and the rest came out just like spaghetti.

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 20:39:49 »
sounds like we over cooked maybe ,so i have more growing , so tips on cooking please ?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 20:45:54 »
id bake it in foil from 20 mins to 30 mins depending on size   
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 08:22:38 »
Surely this is a butternut squash not a spaghetti marrow, our spaghetti marrows are the same as normal marrow shape. I did grow butternut squashes some years ago.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 11:28:49 »
As Digeroo and Plot 18 said.

Graceland, if you want squash spaghetti now, you can make them with courgettes and a spiraliser kitchen gadget:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Newest-Improved-Spiralizer-Spiral-Complete/dp/B00NEAO4S2/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1499230919&sr=1-2&keywords=courgette+spiralizer

(no advertising intended, there are many others, just wanted to show how to make 'spaghetti' now)  :wave:

Spaghetti squash hasn't got a great flavour or texture - spiralised normal squash is definitely a big improvement on both.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 15:31:04 »
Surely a mater of personal taste , I grow them as a special request from some folks who really like them. We all have different tastes , if no one liked them they would go off the market. They sell well at boot fairs with cooking instructions.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 19:17:55 »
Surely this is a butternut squash not a spaghetti marrow, our spaghetti marrows are the same as normal marrow shape. I did grow butternut squashes some years ago.
yes indeed it is  however the cooking is much the same  in my post it was the cooking that was mentioned not the squash ill post a pic of some flowers with this post so there is no confusion
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 16:39:25 »
picked a few today as wife says she don't want um huge , so left to ripen in sun ? :blob7: :blob7:

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 08:42:44 »
We never leave them to ripen , the skins then go hard. We have them as soon as they are about 8 to 10 inches long. Sorry I still use old measurements.

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 14:33:13 »
We never leave them to ripen , the skins then go hard. We have them as soon as they are about 8 to 10 inches long. Sorry I still use old measurements.

May i ask your method of cooking please so i can try again !!

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
Re: Spaghetti Squash
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 16:45:32 »
My wife is away until Sat but as I remember she cuts the marrow in half so that she can remove gather seeds. She wraps with cling film then cooks, In micro wave then using a fork removes the inside which looks just like spaghetti. I will show her this when she gets back Saturday and will notify any changes.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 14:24:17 »
yes indeed it is  however the cooking is much the same  in my post it was the cooking that was mentioned not the squash ill post a pic of some flowers with this post so there is no confusion
[/quote

Maybe I am just old and thick but not sure what dahlias have to do with marrows.

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2017, 21:36:46 »
I agree - I don't think Dahlia Smith has ever done a recipe for marrows.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal