Author Topic: New one for me!  (Read 1614 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
New one for me!
« on: July 12, 2017, 14:33:11 »
I was on the plot this morning and as I was having a look around I noticed that some of my potatoes (approx 15plants) had yellowing leaves.

They were Kestrels and I knew that it was a bit early for natural 'die back' prior to harvesting so I had a closer look and discovered what  I think is 'Blackleg'  rather than Blight which was my first thoughts. I discounted this because the leaves were 'spot free' which is synonymous with 'Blight'

So I cut off the haulms to stop the problem spreading.

Had a look on my website  when I got home to try and confirm my thoughts and this was what I read:

Potato Blackleg - pectobacterium atrosepticum is a bacterial disease that affects potato tubers and is virtually impossible to detect.

Symptoms:

The first sign might be the appearance of pale green to yellow limp stunted foliage, followed by black greasy lesions at the base of the stem, this in turn can lead to foliage collapse.

The disease then spreads to the tubers which rot if badly affected.

This is exactly what I saw, so tomorrow I will dig up the affected plants and have a look at the tubers.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: New one for me!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 14:46:02 »
How very frustrating for you TeeGee.  Hope the spuds are OK but I suspect they won't store well even if you dig them up now.
Obxx - Vendée France

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 22:47:14 »
I suppose it might be blackleg if you've been able to water your spuds ... but mine are all showing signs of dieback too early because I cannot afford to water potatoes with my limited rainwater supply and it has been so dry they have been droughted ... same symptoms, yellowing leaves.

It's just been too dry for them for too long ... before yesterdays rain there was not a sign of moisture in the soil when harvesting my earlies.  I'm amazed they've made as many potatoes as they have given the conditions.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 13:50:52 »
I suppose it might be blackleg if you've been able to water your spuds

Not that John...I never water my potatoes!

Had another look this morning and noticed it was not my Kestrels it was in fact my Charlotte's.

Another thing is;  I  plant out 20 rows (5 tubers wide) in one bed on my plot so this year I grew 5rows x Rocket, 5 rows x Charlotte,5 rows  x  Kestrel and 5 rows  x PFA and the only the Charlotte's are affected.

In fact when you look down the bed you can tell by the leaves that there are 4 varieties in it  by the different shades of green or in the case of the Charlottes...these were yellow!

In fact the first row of Rocket and Kestrel adjacent to the Charlotte's are a lovely healthy green

So I think my problem came with the seed tubers I bought.

I say this because of something else I have done which gives me a comparison and that is: the Charlotte tubers which I saved from last year and are in another bed are unaffected.

So I think my thoughts are confirmed by these observations.

I dug up a root to see what was below and was pleasantly surprised with what I saw there were 10 nice tubers at the end of the haulm, most of which you can see here:

Another thing could be the humidity under the potato tops during the recent hot spell could have had an affect but I doubt it, simply because only one variety was affected.

At least I seem to have come out not too badly assuming the rest of the Charlotte crop is like those above.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 19:24:09 »
They look great!  A nice size and charlottes can store really well!

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 22:05:34 »
I am growing only Charlotte and Kestrel, planted at the same time, and the Charlottes have died back (unevenly) ahead of the Kestrel. No problems (apart from a very little slug damage) with the Charlotte tubers so far. If anything, I've watered the Charlottes more than the Kestrel as I'm aiming to use them first, but they've not been watered very much.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal