Author Topic: ☔️☔️☔️☔️☔️NEWS!!!!ITS RAINING YEEEE HAAA!!  (Read 4452 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Thank god .....the ground has been like sand here and today we are having a good old heavy shower😁😁
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: ☔️☔️☔️☔️☔️NEWS!!!!ITS RAINING YEEEE HAAA!!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 17:50:02 »
Third time it has rained since the end of March for us. Yet according to the Met Office, we have had the normal amount of rain for this area in April, May and June. They may have where they take the measurements, but not here. Hardly any fruit, no seed germination, poor growth on planted things, it has been a terrible season so far.
Gardening is the great leveller.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 18:32:41 »
Well our clay sets like concrete and we have massive cracks, this rain is so welcome :wave:

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 19:42:51 »
Rain all day here- I got wet waiting for a bus but I'm not complaining!

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 20:09:23 »
Rain all day here too - lovely stuff :happy7:. Filling my water butts nicely :blob7:.

Tricia :wave:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 11:24:03 »
Not often I say this but, nice light rain for much of yesterday!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 17:36:10 »
I do hope it rained yesterday.   We have had almost nothing for 5 weeks. So it was desperately needed.  I am in Holland so we had it last night and this morning here.
I am hoping the rain will help the runners set beans lots of the flowers have been falling off. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 17:50:32 by Digeroo »

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 18:38:15 »
Over 30mm (over an inch) of rain overnight here.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 07:21:43 »
We have also had less than average rain palutris. May was not bad but Mar Apl May all very dry.  We were very very lucky because one Friday/sat night about five weeks ago we had a deluge.  Soil went from dry to soaking overnight.   I rushed out with Barrow loads of manure and mulched up and this seems to have locked the moisture in.  It was exhausting but well worth the effort.  It was amazing but weeks later the soil was still moist and friable under the manure while else where dry as a bone and hard.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 10:01:49 »
I thought we had a lot of rain here on Monday, but it was only 16mm. On checking down on the plot today, it's still bone dry 4 inches down!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 16:08:36 »
One days light rain does not really make up for the three months of dryness. The soil is very dry at depth.

pumkinlover

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 18:53:06 »
We didn't get a huge amount but enough to take the strain off the watering for a while

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 09:45:50 »
Thunderbolt and lightning very very frightening. but just a spit of rain.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 10:30:41 »
Watered early evening yesterday like one does, but later in the evening thunderstorm and lightning and heavy rain.  Should get more than the 3 runner beans I had yesterday. One less job to do today. Must say the yellow courgette, spinach and 3 runner beans I got from the allotment were delicious, certainly could taste the difference. Also a few potatoes for tonight, only one with a fork through it, and had a job to get it off the fork. Cat came through the cat flap last night like a rocket, and soaking wet and crying. Didn't know he was so frightened of storms. a bit like ACE, ACE please get rid of that insect, keep trying to swat it.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 11:25:47 »
In a way I am glad that we did not get the forecast deluge, not even a hint of thunder, but having just dug up the First earlies and found that the soil is dust to a depth of 18 inches, we certainly could do with some rain.
The Farmers here are all getting their grain harvested, machines going from first light until well after 10 o' clock. They must think we are in for some water.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 12:20:17 »
We had rain about a week ago for 2 days and a good storm last night but ground still very dry at depth and i think we might get more rain later today but cetainly the best nights sleep in a while :)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 13:56:52 »
I could do with a deluge of sorts but would prefer a few days and nights of steady rain.   We've had just 5.6cms since mid Jan and the garden is parched with even established shrubs starting to wilt.

I've just had to water the herb patch as the rosemary, sages, thymes and lavenders were all looking limp.   Hope they recover.   Onion crop is dry and dead, squashes struggling, sweetcorn OK but not growing and brassicas not filling out.   

The neighbours say it's now 13 months of drought combined with some exceptionally hot weather.  I hope this is not a permanent weather change or I shall have to re-think all our plans for the garden and what and how we can grow it.   Luc, the cattle farmer is already having to feed his cattle in the fields as the grass has been dry and not grown for over a month.
Obxx - Vendée France

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 17:28:46 »
Very dull today had some thunder early hours and a bit of rain,Not enough though -Gloucester UK
i don't belive death is the end

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 05:08:48 »
Not much rain here.  But it was very humid here yesterday.  The next thing will be blight. 

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 06:50:05 »
Started raining a bout 5 a.m. and looks like it's here for most of the morning, nothing too heavy yet.
It's desperately needed on the plot, but I've got a 3 day stall this weekend at the local beer festival for my preserves, and really need it dry!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal