Author Topic: Political gardening  (Read 2517 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
Re: Political gardening
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 10:58:05 »
Still don't like the tusk garden, or the one that looked like a graveyard/quarry at Chelsea.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/may/23/chelsea-flower-show-james-basson-abandoned-maltese-quarry-wins-top-prize

To me, they are simply not gardens.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 13:23:31 »
I don't mind politics in gardens or gardens that make you think as well as relax but I do agree that the quarry graveyard "garden" at Chelsea is not a garden and I absolutely loathed his Provençal dry garden full of weeds the year before.  Beth Chatto has shown us that, with careful preparation and the right choice of plants, a dry garden can be full of texture and colour and wildlife and not at all dry, dusty and depressing.

Photos from last May 2016 - http://s211.photobucket.com/user/Obelixx_be/library/160527%20Beth%20Chatto%20-%20Essex?sort=2&page=1
Obxx - Vendée France

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 13:26:21 »
Still don't like the tusk garden, or the one that looked like a graveyard/quarry at Chelsea.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/may/23/chelsea-flower-show-james-basson-abandoned-maltese-quarry-wins-top-prize

To me, they are simply not gardens.

But they are a garden to somebody. All the same the 'gardens' still have to have the correct plants for the soil conditions and aspect of the garden. Get that bit wrong and you lose points. We always tried to use English country garden plants and build a garden people liked and can associate with. one of the reasons we only ever got 2 gold medals  was putting in a plant that caught the public eye and it was  usually the one that lost us points as it would not grow naturally in the garden if it was real. The research we had to do on every plant we used took days to see if it was acid/alkaline, sun/shade, north/south/east/west facing, dry/marginal etc. The effort is just the same for these bare bones gardens. So if you say how the hell did that get a medal, think again.

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 13:47:43 »
Maybe so, I can understand the judges are looking for different things to me - but that doesn't mean I have to like their choices though, does it?

:thumbsup:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 13:57:03 »
not a fan in my opinion a garden should be a place to sit relax and enjoy nature watch the grandkids play and learn about plants and food maybe im old fashioned and out of favour each to their own however my little piece will be green and plesant
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal