Author Topic: My Photos  (Read 2821 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
My Photos
« on: June 30, 2017, 17:25:52 »
Hi all

Some of you may have noticed that most of my photos have been blanked out and replaced with the following message;

WE NOTICED THAT YOU HAVE BEEN USING PHOTOBUCKET FOR 3RD PARTY HOSTING*
TO RESTORE YOUR 3RD PARTY HOSTED IMAGES,PLEASE UPGRADE TO A PLUS 500 PLAN.

I have been with photobucket for over ten years and up till now their services have been free.

It would appear that linking photos to other websites and forums constitutes 3rd Party hosting so if I want to do this I have to pay!

I have looked at the charges  for the PLUS 500 PLAN and they are far in excess of what I am prepared to pay, particularly when you consider  I have an account with Flickr which is only a quarter of the price.

So sorry folks my pictures are going to remain blanked out until I work out what I am going to do!

I have always tried to keep my Flickr account strictly for family and friends viewing and only occasionally do I make a folder 'public'

The reason for this is simply that most of my family and friends are not into the garden/allotment related pictures I usually upload to A4A so having two accounts was an easy way to keep the picture types separate.

So leave it with me I will think of some way to overcome my predicament.

As it stands I do not think 'Photobucket' will be part of my recovery plan as I do not like their 'gung ho' approach to this issue.

I would have thought that they would have contacted me first to advise me that I was doing something wrong rather than embarrassing me by blanking out my pictures and placing that notice as they have done.

So once again folks I can only apologise for the situation I find myself in!....Tg

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: My Photos
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 17:37:27 »
It is very odd. I have linked an image on another site with no trouble.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 18:01:03 »
Just a thought perhaps the notice only appears on my system to advise ME and perhaps no one else sees it.

Can some kind person check a few threads that I have submitted pictures in and tell me what they see

Thanks. Tg

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 20:11:05 »
Just a thought perhaps the notice only appears on my system to advise ME and perhaps no one else sees it.

Can some kind person check a few threads that I have submitted pictures in and tell me what they see

Thanks. Tg

I've just looked for some of your pics and they have grey warning notice on them
https://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,81187.msg819727.html#msg819727

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 21:13:11 »
Thanks Plot ...Just as I thought!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 22:03:48 »
How annoying is that!  Bad for you and for us.   :BangHead:

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 08:38:31 »
In view of this I looked at Imgur.com. Seems very similar to the old PB.
Gardening is the great leveller.

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 09:25:54 »
Seems  like they have updated their terms and conditions on the 28th which unless you pay you can't link an image to display on another website now.
Can see this might end up with a big kick back from their users.

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 10:43:39 »
I can see that they might change their T&Cs for future links but how can they apply the new terms to links made when they were allowed? That doesn't seem right to me.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 12:31:02 »
The internet is cross about this.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/photobucket

They are dead in the water and they know it.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 12:32:08 »
Hi Guys

I have now slept on it but my opinion of "Photobucket" has not changed.

What annoys me most of all about it is:

My biggest problem is yet to come  (and this will possibly have an  the affect on A4A)and that is;

In the past if someone asked a question on the forum which I could answer and I knew I had a suitable picture in my Photobucket files I would display it in my answer....now it would appear that I can't unless I pay them $100 (£80) per annum.

Then you have the situation where sadly most of the posts I have made in the past with pictures in them will now  have them greyed out which does not do much for A4A.

For example; what if a 'newbie' comes in and sees all these blank spaces what are they going to think?

I have currently 4300 pictures in my Photobucket files which anyone on the net can see and then when I, or anyone else  opens a picture, photobucket gets a royalty from each viewing, and I get nothing, that really gets up my nose (to put it mildly) :nono:

Then they have the audacity to say if I want to share my pictures with people such as yourselves I have to pay for the privilege.:nono:

Lets assume I  displayed around 80 pictures per annum (less than two a week) it would cost me around £1 per picture, let me tell you  that is not on!

OK I have had the facility FOC since I joined them but that was their doing not mine, it is the abrupt, heartless  'without warning' manner they have used when making the changes that has upset me!

So now you know why I have pulled the plug, I don't mind paying a nominal sum for the facility but £1 per picture is too much.

As an aside: I won't be too hasty and delete all my pictures in Photobucket but it is in the back of my mind that if I find an suitable alternative I will.

Only time will tell!

Sorry for the moan guys but money grabbers really annoy me! :evil5:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 12:43:23 »
Strange how my previous post which I was writing when Nick added his post echos the sentiment Twitter users are giving!

Thanks Nick! for the link although it does not help in resolving all the greyed out pictures that will be in A4A.

However it has given me some satisfaction in thinking that Photobucket's royalties might drop and their advertisers might float elsewhere!

Only time will tell, so for the moment I will leave my account as it is and see what happens.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 13:19:21 »
It does seem very wrong to apply new terms to previous usage. But they must have decided blackmailing users, as such, is ok by them.  Cruddy, low and vindictive to my mind, which will affect very many regular people.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2017, 19:36:15 »
Guess this will drive more users to Google Photos in future.
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2017, 20:05:42 »
I do enjoy your pics.  I do hope you can find another solution.

Can you have two Flickr accounts?

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2017, 12:40:18 »
I have used Photobucket to display pictures on this forum for many years, so I expect they too will have been removed.   

A friend of mine recently used Google to send me some photos so I will have to look into that.  Whether or not I will manage to post them on here is a different matter. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal