Author Topic: so there i am in the garden.............  (Read 3887 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
so there i am in the garden.............
« on: June 26, 2017, 16:30:42 »

so im sat in the garden sorting fishing tackle when from nowhere this uninvited guest flutters down from the garden fence and proceeds to scoff the bird food in the floor.

I think you have to be another Helmeted Guinea fowl to appreciate his beauty...or not.....
he seems to enjoy the bird food but has taken to sweetcorn
the mrs has told me.........get rid as what goes in one end is now littering the concrete slabs in the garden
so ive been busy with the poooo broom........I did toy with roasting him but after naming him George the Guinea Fowl im kinda fond of him as he eats pests in the garden and around my growing area although he seems to enjoy munching on my blue berry bushes.....little so and so.

anyway ive checked out locally and nobody else has these birds so under Gazzes section 33 of the im bloody well keeping it code....I want to but all I get is RSPCA being yelled at me .....

so unless you see it roasted in the recipe section I guess 48 hours was fun but ill have to phone somebody
hes tried to befriend the mrs by tapping on the French doors glass to come in but his trade mark poos aint getting him in here on the carpet.......not unless he walks into the kitchen ..............end of.

fun to enjoy for a few days though........

Gazza

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: so there i am in the garden.............
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 17:05:17 »
Great story!

Thanks for sharing it.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 17:45:52 »
I nearly wet myself laughing.  But he must belong to someone.

Seems odd he does not have a ring.   We had a peahen arrive once, but it was easy to trace the owner, since it belonged to the local doctor.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 07:45:26 »
The most exotic birds we get are pheasants.  This is fabulous Gazza.  I agree, it must belong to somebody quite locally.  Good luck finding the owner.  Thanks for great photos.  We love your 'wildlife' garden  :wave:

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 08:11:14 »
How do you like it's call? We were on holiday there were some, hmm.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 09:27:51 »
Lovely photos Gazza.  I expect, like us, you are used to having pheasants pay you a visit, but it must have been a surprise seeing this fellow in your garden.  You may have to net your blueberries before he pinches the lot.  We can't leave any fruit uncovered here as the birds get everything. 

Have you tried ringing these people at Ferndown, Gazza?  They breed Guinea Fowl according to their website.

http://www.chickens.allotment-garden.org/poultry-suppliers/poultry-breeder-9974.php

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 10:26:18 »
yeas ago I kept a little flock, more or less semi wild, they where great at caterpillar purging down through the veg rows and did not seem to eat much else in the way of crops. Sounded like  little buzz saws sounding off if there was an intruder, like a fox near the chicken runs, they used to frighten them off with the sound. Night time up in a tree to roost. Maintenance free really, tough old birds to eat though and never found a single egg until it was too late and they hatched out.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 06:17:37 »
well I did the decent thing and he tasted delish...no.........I phoned the RSPCA and cos it aint sick or injured they don't wanna know
so now its the environmental health at dorset council....as its 5am squeaks and chirps are starting to grind....bloody thing thinks its a guard bird ...must be the neighbours cat peeing it off.......our garden fox aint been around for a while....thatll solve it.

yer cheers Pauline ferndown is only a few short flaps of the stubby wings away maybe they might want a freeby as all jude says is .....we cant keep birds ....and the poooooooooooo...shes so short sighted I just scoop it up off the patio and lob it on the tatter patch....sorted..... :icon_cheers:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 17:16:28 »
I am sure you can whip of a good recipe.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 21:32:18 »
Is there a zoo near you? They quite often know of private collectors in the area :) so they might have an idea of owner and/ or someone who can look after if you dont want to keep ypur new friend. I would love them!!!
Jackie

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 07:58:05 »
you would love them ...ok I will pass on my address and you can bring your net and animal cage and George is yours.....FREE GRATIS....AND FOR NOTHING...jude has just reminded me this morning of the sweet little gifts he has left on the patio....bless his little rain sodden behind...... :tongue3:

I did read they tree roost at nights as I don't know where he sleeps must be in a tree near our garden,blimey it was only last year I saw pheasants roosting in trees when I was out fishing one eve,you live and learn....pssstt...shes off to work in a min....ill be out feeding George with some seed and sweetcord he enjoys nibbling on that......well ive got to keep the compost coming out haven't I.....he produces lovely deposits for me and my growing area appreciates that....... :icon_cheers:

but jude wants rid........ill look out for your car.... :blob7:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal