Author Topic: Running out of space.  (Read 1997 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Running out of space.
« on: June 22, 2017, 16:47:49 »
My plots always look so big at the beginning of the year, but now they are full to the brim.  So I am beginning to throw things out to make space.  The poppies are lovely but several went yesterday for some more beans.  I have 24 broccoli and loads of purple sprouting, and more beans.  And I keep buying things reduced at the garden centre.   And I have a tray of leeks.

Will have to start on the potatoes.  The overwinter onions are next to go.   So this is where I start with the shoe horn, and the paths start to disappear, and I have to remind myself of just how big the squashes are going to get. 

And the courgettes will have to grow up posts.

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
Re: Running out of space.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 22:15:00 »
Me too. I need the space from my potatoes but have too many earlies to eat already! Are they best left in the ground until you need them or is it ok to dig them up and store them?
Located in Royston, North Herts.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 22:25:57 »
Me too. I need the space from my potatoes but have too many earlies to eat already! Are they best left in the ground until you need them or is it ok to dig them up and store them?
first earlies dont store that well and if you leave them in they could be prone to slug attack so id dig them up and eat them as quick as you can they should be ok for a month just place them in a hessian or paper sack then place them in a dry cool dark place hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 22:27:24 »
i used to have problems like that,this is how got over it:

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Computers/Computers%20and%20Gardening.htm

Regarding your earlies   I see this as a double edge sword in so far as the best place to keep them is in the ground until needed but then you run the risk of them being attacked by slugs.

For the record I leave mine in the ground until needed!

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 22:31:52 by Tee Gee »

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 13:08:52 »
Regarding your earlies   I see this as a double edge sword in so far as the best place to keep them is in the ground until needed but then you run the risk of them being attacked by slugs.

Doesn't anyone use proper Victorian garden (above-ground) clamps anymore? I don't grow many potatoes but they are very effective for beets.

They are also a great space clearer, though I use a few slug pellets in the dry grass under them and a few around them at this time of year.

Cheers.

PS. the squirrels often bury apples in any tomato pots I leave outside - when I find them midwinter they are in better condition than my ones from the fridge. Any container full of slightly dry-ish compost (preferably in full shade) makes a great clamp.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 14:01:23 »
I am totally out of space.  Spuds have grown massive and fallen over the paths.  Squash have gone mental and are invading everything and I can barely get round the plot now.  Still at least my PSB is in!
It seems to me that it has been one of the best years for growth as everything seems to be massive - toms are exploding with fruit and falling over, courgettes are enormous, spuds are huge - there have been failures but what made it beyond a seedling seems to have grown really well.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal