Author Topic: Purple tomato  (Read 1380 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Purple tomato
« on: June 20, 2017, 11:38:14 »
I bought a tomato plant with purple tomatoes.  I really splashed out it was 10p!!  They are the colour of aubergines.
Called Indigo Blue Berries , does anyone know if this is an F1.
There is a picture on this site
http://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/Vegetable-Seeds-1/Tomato-Indigo-Blue-Berries-Seeds.html#.WUj6JazXtjo
But the pic is all wrong the tomatoes are bright blue.
Just realised the seeds are 26p each.

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
Re: Purple tomato
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 14:03:34 »
It is not an f1 - the Indigo varieties have been bred traditionally, so open pollinated
http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/indigo-blue-berries-tomato-seeds

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 15:26:21 »
i grow one from the ukraine  a plot holder has a holiday home there its really black shiny black fades to black and dark red when ripe really sweet
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 07:51:29 »
I second what Johnny said.  You can tell that they are ripe when you see a little bit of red.  For some of the blues it is a lot of brownish red, for others like Helsing Junction Blues, it is only a little.  Blue all over means they are not yet ready.  For some reason the blue tomatoes seem to take longer to ripen than normal ones, but they taste delightful properly ripened.   :wave:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 23:54:33 »
Shame if they loose the aubergine look when they ripen.  No sign of red yet.  Thought I had only one plant but I may have two.  Got another with blue fruit but it looks totally different, one is tall and spindley and the other is short and bushy.  But for  10p you cannot be fussy, it is more of a case of choosing something you can have a fair chance of resurrecting.   

Perhaps they will stay blue if I cook them before they are fully ripe.

Might see if I can manage some hand pollination.

Todays bargain was a gold plastic hanging basket, which I wanted, but it contained three enormous tomato plants, certainly nothing like a Tumbling Tom.  Have thrown the tomatoes into my allotment.  But it was all only 50p.   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal