Author Topic: Songolds  (Read 123 times)

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Songolds
« on: June 19, 2017, 17:30:52 »
Hello. Grew Sungolds on the allotment a few years back. Never read the packet so took off all the side shoots. No longer got allotment so i'm growing in the greenhouse down bottom of garden. Read the packet this time and i've done as it says and not removed the sideshoots. They've took over can hardly get in to water them. Anyone grown them? Whats best?

ed dibbles

• Acre
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
Re: Songolds
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 17:54:57 »
They are an indeterminate/cordon variety so the side shoots need removing. I sometimes leave two main stems trying to increase the harvest, not always successfully as even that can congest growth.

But a really good flavour so they are well worth growing even if the seed is rather pricey. :happy7:

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 18:08:17 »
Oh yes lovely flavour. Think i'd trim a few off next time

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 19:07:50 »
I've grown them on my allotment for a few years now, planted in open ground and just allowed to roam. No supports, no side shooting and get an amazing yield off them.
The worst bit is when it comes to harvesting, there's a lot of growth to go through!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Long Eaton, Notts
Every pickle helps!

Beersmith

• Half Acre
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 20:19:32 »
Well I do not see any reason to worry too much.

The basic reasons why we either remove side shoots on some tomatoes and leave them on others is to produce a good crop. Regardless of the official designation of cordon or bush it is better to remove them if they are just producing a lot of flower free vegetative growth. If the side shoots are carrying lots of flowers probably better to leave them.

That said, you have to strike a balance between the number and the size. Leave every side shoot and you could end up with thousands of pea sized fruits.  Also the season does not last forever, and the later flowers set the less chance of ripening before the weather deteriorates. So I remove more as the season progresses.

In short, don't worry about strict rules just trust your judgement.

Purely by coincidence, I picked my first ripe Sungold today. Just the one - but it is a start!
They really are delicious.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 06:54:54 »
 i side shoot mine  and grow them outside as im down on the east coast  one year however i did let them run free and i can tell you they get huge a good 5ft across but there was not a lot of difference in the size of the yield so i would nip them out hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Allotments 4 All

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 06:54:54 »

anything