Author Topic: Young coriander plants starting to form flower heads  (Read 2253 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Young coriander plants starting to form flower heads
« on: June 11, 2017, 13:28:35 »
I watered these every day but seems as if warm weather has prompted this. If I cut off flowerheads will they be ok...lor start again?
Thanks
Jackie

peanuts

• Hectare
Re: Young coriander plants starting to form flower heads
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 14:31:33 »
I do cut mine down to get them to reshoot, but I also leave lots to flower and produce seed, both for the dried seed, but particularly for the fresh juicy green seeds which are DELICIOUS! Try them mixed into salads, both whole and crushed.  So good!

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 14:42:57 »
Many thanks!
Jackie

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 17:04:55 »
Agree about the taste of the green seeds. If you cut it, it will regrow. But sometimes it better to restart if you just want leaves.

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 21:56:15 »
I've seen coriander seed sold a "seed" coriander and "leaf" coriander. Presumably there are specific varieties for harvesting seed or leaf?

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 06:57:32 »
Is that an example of  suppliers pandering/responding to trends, do you think, George?  I'm lucky in not having to buy coriander seed, as it reproduces itself easily here, all the time. :happy7:
I've seen coriander seed sold a "seed" coriander and "leaf" coriander. Presumably there are specific varieties for harvesting seed or leaf?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 06:59:42 by Peanuts »

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 08:05:43 »
i grow it every couple of years i cut half down chop it put it into  ice cubes trays let it regrow for fresh the other half i let set seed and what i dont use i use to start it all over again when the freezer is empty
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 09:23:12 »
Coriander is a notorious bolter ... but whatever you do don't sow seeds designed to use as a spice ... they are varieties specifically bred to go to seed!  But even the leaf varieties bolt around this time of year.  The only advice is the same as other problem crops like lettuce and spincah ... shade, plenty of water, nitrogen for lush growth and careful weeding.

I too agree about the green seeds ... I discovered them quite by accident and they are almost a completely different 3rd spice.  My favourite recipe for them is to candy them as you would do angelica!  Then they can be stored and are delicious as a little sweet treat like herbal tic-tacs, or you can use them as a decoration on fairy cakes with a flavour bomb added in.

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 11:58:42 »
Wow, Squeezyjohn, I've not heard of doing that with the fresh seeds!  Good idea.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 19:04:58 »
This is why I love this place....learn something every day :)
Jackie

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 21:02:30 »
I love coriander so I'll definitely have to try the green seeds!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal