Author Topic: Bean questions  (Read 1674 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Bean questions
« on: June 10, 2017, 13:03:27 »
A lot of my bean plants seem to have rather yellow leaves.

Can anyone suggest why, and what to do about it?

Someone suggested they needed nitrogen because they have not get developed nodules.

And my climbing French just do not seem to want to twine round the canes, I keep putting them round but they do not stay.

picman

• Acre
Re: Bean questions
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 13:24:54 »
A good dose of Epsom salts... The beans , not you :)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 15:16:31 »
This yellowing happens quite frequently after planting out and a dose of liquid fertiliser should make them pick-up quite fast, for example comfrey/nettle liquid.  Possibly leeching of nutrients with the heavy rain we had.
 With helping to twine you have to get the direction right and for them to stay this wind would need to stop for a bit if you are on an exposed plot.  Both problems should remedy themselves :wave:

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 06:52:37 »
My beans are protected by raspberries, peas and broad beans.  Hopefully these should keep the worse of the wind off.
We now also have a new hedge on the windward side, but the horses keep nibbling it.

I have tried nettle tea, will try the comfrey.  Got some good really stinky stuff!!

Everything leaches from our soil.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 07:55:42 »
A lot of my bean plants seem to have rather yellow leaves.

Can anyone suggest why, and what to do about it?

Someone suggested they needed nitrogen because they have not get developed nodules.

And my climbing French just do not seem to want to twine round the canes, I keep putting them round but they do not stay.

sometimes the yellowing can be caused by aphids have a little check under the leaves
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 13:10:00 »
A big thank you. 

I gave my beans various high nitrogen foods: chicken pellets, high nitrogen liquid,  nettle tea and they have greened up already.   Looking very bonny now.  It only took three days.   

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 17:18:20 »
I noticed today all my runner bean plants had yellowish leaves and looked a bit sad. However all the French climbing beans were fine. I only planted them two days ago with a little growmore . Any ideas?

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 18:05:22 »
I do recommend the nitrogen route.  I think with all the rain that some of the nutrients have washed out of the soil.  I would have through the growmore would do the job.  But it will need a little water to wash it down, I find growmore takes some time to disappear so presume it is designed to feed for a period of time.   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal