Author Topic: Walking onions  (Read 1661 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Walking onions
« on: March 30, 2005, 23:46:11 »
Thanks to MagpieDi, I have a lovely patch of these in the garden...well actually, they belong to the kids.  Well, they did walk, and the patch has grown, but today I needed salad onions to liven up my boring - as yet not homegrown - salad, so I pulled a couple, stripped them back, and they were delish!  Lovely long white stems, slim, but then they have been in the ground all year.  It really is possible to have things to pick in the garden or in the allotment all year round!  ;D

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
Re: Walking onions
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 22:46:26 »
 8)   ;D

They're amazing aren't they EJ ?  Weird and wacky !!

Here's a pic for those who haven't come across them before. Not for the tidy minded, as they really do go walkabouts !  Haha!!

Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 00:07:03 »
Have you tried Welsh Onions? they're rather good and one of the few things I have fresh from my plot at the mo

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 09:25:13 »
I inherited a whole patch of Welsh onions with my plot, didn't know what they were at first. They are lovely, I use them like spring onions and also in stir fry.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 09:50:24 »
So how do they "walk"? Are they periennial? Are welsh onions periennial?

(I'm getting rather interested in periennial crops!)
gone to pot :D

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 10:30:25 »
I've never heard of either of them.  Are they like grown up chives and do you buy seed or sets ?
Get with the beat Baggy

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 12:45:41 »
Well, I received some little onions, like little sets, which the kids planted up in their play area.  In no time they were growing, just like regular onions.  Late summer it looked as though they were starting to flower, but instead of a flower head, it was like a mass of little bulbils.  The weight of the head bent the stem to the ground, where the little bulbils rooted and are now growing away lovely, a good 6 or so inches away from the 'mum'.  I am using some of the old ones and leaving the babies to it.  These are 'walking' around the kids strawberry patch...wonder if it will put the greenfly and slugs off?

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 13:26:32 »
I've got a bad knee at the mo. Would I have a problem catching them?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal