Author Topic: Pigeons  (Read 2758 times)

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
Pigeons
« on: June 07, 2017, 11:48:12 »
I have moved to a new allotment site this year and have just heard that the pigeons attack the sweetcorn.   Last week I put up some netting with canes at 4 corners and braced at the top.   When I got over there this morning the wind had virtually destroyed it.   Does anyone have any ideas what I can deter the pigeons with?   I did wonder about plastic bottles on canes but have been told that probably would not work.   I would appreciate any ideas.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: Pigeons
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 17:55:25 »
Have a good look around you site. You may well see how others deal with this and copy them. If you are really lucky you may find that the pigeons do not target sweet corn as you have been led to believe.

It is really odd but while pigeons are a real nuisance on my site they target brassicas and peas.  Left uncovered they will destroy your crop in a matter of a few days. Yet hereabouts they will completely ignore lettuce and sweet corn. I don't know why and it might be different in your area, so ask around before risking it.

Good luck, and if they grow really well the badgers will probably get them later on.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 19:09:11 »
At the moment I have got everything that I am growing covered in netting as there is a lot of pigeons around my allotment as a few of others on here keep them, I also get quite a few cats visiting as well  the netting will come off once everything has filled out hopefully soon  as regard to the sweetcorn mine last year when they were getting blown about I pushed some canes into the ground and tied netting round them
Barnsley S Yorks

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 10:43:36 »
I bought a couple of windmills from Poundland yesterday as someone told me the birds don't like them so will try them when I go over next.   I did try one out a while ago at home and next door's cat kept well away from it!!

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 14:23:06 »
out plots are plagued by rabbits even chews onions
i don't belive death is the end

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 11:44:20 »
If you want a minimalist solution then hanging CDs an work - you will notice they look like a gigantic winking eye.

The pests will learn to ignore them though. If everyone else is using them they've probably trained the pests to boredom already.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 15:38:55 »

It is really odd but while pigeons are a real nuisance on my site they target brassicas and peas.  Left uncovered they will destroy your crop in a matter of a few days. Yet hereabouts they will completely ignore lettuce and sweet corn. I don't know why and it might be different in your area, so ask around before risking it.

Same here, I've had to net all my brassicas, but my lettuces and sweetcorn are untouched.
Located in Royston, North Herts.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 16:44:48 »
 a hawk kite works well the pigeons think its real as it darts in the wind it ties to a sort of roach pole thing  hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 23:12:14 »
In the best part of fifteen years I have never had pigeons eat my sweetcorn - and I have to net my brassicas, so we definitely have a pigeon problem.

Foxes are a different matter - they will strip the heads quite happily.

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal