Author Topic: Supporting cucumbers in pots  (Read 1645 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Supporting cucumbers in pots
« on: June 05, 2017, 21:30:01 »
After many years of using growbags to grow cucumbers in my greenhouse I have decided to grow them in pots for a change. I potted up two in two 25cm pots with lots of compost. Then it occurred to me "how do I support them?"
They can grow big with heavy fruits (always the optimist!). Just putting a cane in each pot with a couple of cross canes didn't seem likely to stand up (literally!).
Anyone got any tips?

Hector

• Hectare
Re: Supporting cucumbers in pots
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 21:52:00 »
Im only a beginner but have grown cukes in pots for three years. i have a bamboo cane in the cuke pot and I tie it into a trellis I have tied across roof span. I have additional "strings" tied to a tensioned cable I have across roof and they come down in a V shape tied to pot edge to " help" the cuke attackh to the strings and pole arrangement.
I grew a big cuke Sikkim on this last year
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 21:55:11 by Hector »
Jackie

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 23:01:52 »

The picture above although not cucumbers ( they are tomatoes)might give you an idea.

The canes shown are tied into a horizontal wire extended from one end of the greenhouse to the other so providing you support the top of the cane all should be OK

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 11:13:15 »
Poke a strand of galvanised wire(straitened-out coat hanger-dry cleaner -free!)down through the drainage hole in the pot and create loop. Secure polypropylene string to upper end of loop.Tie off to available overhead wire as Tee Gee suggests. Jobs a goodun! Easiest before planting.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 11:28:10 »
i grow my cucumbers in my leantoo  greenhouse which leans against my shed which has a metal  grill on the shed they climb up it a treat infact already cropping my local garden center sells femspot 4 in a pot for 99p  now thats value  all i do is grow them on plant into greenhouse around 1st may cropping by the end of may all for a bit of compost and 99p a pkt of 6 femspot seeds is normally double that long may it continue  at last real value so well done st Johns garden center
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 21:57:50 »
Well I codged together something after all your helpful ideas. I screwed four old brackets to the wooden frame of the greenhouse (turning the ends up) Attached a bit of  old piece of thick plastic netting and tied the two canes coming from the pots on to it. See photo.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 16:57:37 »
these are my femsport climbing nicely up a metal grill and cropping well
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal