Author Topic: builders sand  (Read 1854 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
builders sand
« on: June 05, 2017, 08:46:25 »
I have two bags of builders sand (guess about 10-20l each) plus a bit (not much left in a bag) of sharp sand. Can I use these in the garden?

We are on heavy clay, can I dig the sand in or put in planting holes to help break this up or would it make it worse? Any other uses?
gone to pot :D

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: builders sand
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 08:57:32 »
Best means of disposal would be to broadcast it over a wide area prior to planting. Dont expect noticeable results, but every little helps, as they say. It is quite likely to be marine dredged sand, with a saline content, especially the "sharp".
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 09:09:39 »
I put some lavender and rosemary cuttings in the sharp (and some compost - about 50/50). THey've not died yet. That must've been a month ago! Actually the lavender (which I did first) looks like it's got new leaves! Does that mean it isn't salty, or can they cope with salt?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 11:07:51 »
Don't get worried about the salt. Bagged sharp is usually washed as it is used for horticulture. The soft will be free as well, otherwise it messes up the brickwork with white streaks when used for it's proper use in brickworking. I have never had a problem and we live by the sea,  although most is quarried. Cheap aggregates for drives etc is usually salty and can leech if you are really unlucky, my car parking area is covered and topped up annually with seaside gravel and the weeds love it. The surrounding flower borders don't get stressed by it. The only grit I would not used is the stuff for de-icing pavements or used in flood defence sandbags.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 11:20:08 »
Sand from builders merchants is OK even if it is dredged - all sand is washed - the reason is that salt makes cement and mortar get weaker over time - that could potentially get a structure condemned.

Builders sand is a no-no for other reasons - the grains aren't big enough to provide drainage - in fact they can clog up existing passages in the soil.

Sharp sand is OK for most purposes but not in long term pots where you extend the life by top-dressing.

As the organic content degrades to a mush the sharp sand grains make you think the texture is OK when it isn't - it's clogged. Even pure peat turns to mush eventually - composted stuff is much worse. It takes bigger stuff like perlite or grit to maintain drainage for decades. Soil-based mixes don't help either as the sand and clay content clogs even sooner.

There are some plants that like a little salt - especially beets and onions. On the other hand epiphyte plants absolutely hate it.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 12:17:33 »
Thanks. Considering what Vinlander said, I'll brush it into the brick patio and driveway, rather than using it for planting.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal