Author Topic: Am I wasting compost?  (Read 2229 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Am I wasting compost?
« on: June 04, 2017, 10:26:30 »
I hate to be the second person to question Monty, but I was surprised to see the size of the modules that he was lifting his Cosmos out of on Friday. they looked pretty good but the modules looked s if they were only about 1.5 inches. I guess his soil is much better than mine, so he can rely on them getting lots of nutrients once they are in, but I would have potted mine into bigger modules or pots long before they got that size. What did anyone else think?

Nora42

• Acre
Re: Am I wasting compost?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 11:11:01 »
I thought the exact same thing, in fact I grew some for a friend and never got around to potting them on. I gave them to her on Friday looking just like the ones Monty had . my biggest problem with this tray a seedlings was they always seemed to be on the verge of keeling over by the end of the day due to thirst, the ones I potted on faired a little better.

my cosmos are all in the ground now and don't they grow better there, they are romping away.
Nora
Norf London

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 16:07:29 »
they looked pretty good but the modules looked s if they were only about 1.5 inches.

I never saw the programme, and for that matter I never watch GW

In terms of modules the ones you describe sound a bit like what I use as seen here:

or these subject to the size of seedlings I am pricking out.

To get a better idea of size these are insert trays I put into a standard 14" x 8" tray.

It is all a question of timing how long your plants are going to be growing on until planting out time.

More often or not I use the 24 cell tray for my bedding.

If I am growing largish plants I would use a 7cm pot :

In the case of Cosmos I would probably use the 24 cell tray but having said that I would use a 7cm pot for plants such as Dahlias (Both of these eventually grow into similar sized plants) so in my opinion it would be: either / or!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 18:08:01 »
On a similar theme, my 48 free lavender plants came in the tiniest modules I've ever seen- not more than about half an inch! I've kept them but can't imagine what I'd use them for! Having said that, the lavender plants are doing well.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 06:13:00 »
Monty's Cosmos plugs did look a little deeper than average cells.

DUke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 08:02:35 »
On a similar theme, my 48 free lavender plants came in the tiniest modules I've ever seen- not more than about half an inch! I've kept them but can't imagine what I'd use them for! Having said that, the lavender plants are doing well.
i got some of those last year will take a pic today so you can see them a year on its not that spectacular lol
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 14:43:21 »
here are some as promised a year on
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 16:12:23 »
the tiniest modules I've ever seen- not more than about half an inch! I've kept them but can't imagine what I'd use them for!

I sow my lobelia in them  or any seed types that are pricked out in clusters as opposed to singly

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal