Author Topic: Back Garden Refurbishment  (Read 1798 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Back Garden Refurbishment
« on: June 03, 2017, 16:09:00 »
Over the last month or so I have been refurbishing my back garden so that it won't be difficult to turn my  "herbaceous border" into a small vegetable garden when I give up my allotments.

Similarly where my cold frame currently sits I envisage fetching my 8x6 greenhouse from my allotment so that I can grow some veg under glass as I do now on my allotment, to this end I have laid a paved base.

Here is the before:

The Herbaceous border as it was:

The Coldframe area as it was:

Progress

Shrubs moved further back:

New plant layout until such times as I need this area for vegetables:

View 'left' from back door:

The paved greenhouse base where it is my plan to put an 8x6 greenhouse and remove the coldframe ( the paving continues under the coldframe):

View 'Right' of back door which is where I will have the greenhouse in lieu of the coldframe.

My reason for doing this is: I am seriously thinking of giving up one of my plots after this year. Currently I have let out half of one of my plots to two ladies who I think want to take it over entirely when I give it up.

As you can see I have done a fair bit of forward planning towards my cutting back on gardening. My plan is to do more 'pottering' at home rather than travelling to my allotments as much.

But only "Time will Tell"

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
Re: Back Garden Refurbishment
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 17:30:30 »
Looks a good plan for the future!
I've been thinking the same. I have a small patchy 'lawn' area (about 8x6ft) covered with sheeting atm to kill everything off, and will turn it into a veg bed. 
I've reached the age when sometimes working on the allotment is a pain, literally. I'll give up before it gets to be a burden rather than a joy and just grow a few bits at home.
I have 3 greenhouses in the garden, one of which is used for growing flowers and sitting in  :sunny: so there will still be enough to keep me active.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 21:51:43 »
Looks like good planning TeeGee.  Good luck with it.  You too Plot 18.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 16:24:20 »
Just a progress report showing how it is looking today!

Where my new 8 x 6 greenhouse will go.

The herbaceous border that may become a vegetable garden some day:

Virtually all of the perennial plants you can see are in sunken plant pots so that they can be easily removed as and if I decide to remove them. :toothy10:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal