Author Topic: Strawberry plants  (Read 1207 times)

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
Strawberry plants
« on: July 01, 2017, 10:44:53 »
Some of my Elsanta  plants look as dead as Dodos  :BangHead: This was probably due to lack of watering butshall I just wait and see if something grows back from the middle of the plants or dump them?

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
Re: Strawberry plants
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 12:55:24 »
They might grow back but they will be crippled - possibly for a whole season or more.

You should cut your losses and replace them.

I've occasionally nursed plants back to life - but they were unique - I have some old populations of MDB, Sovs and Cambridge whatever and I occasionally find super plants that taste better than their neighbours. I would do anything necessary if any of them dried out before I'd propagated them (though in reality they might just be the few that still taste the same as the original plants - there is always a possibility of genetic drift in either direction - these are called 'sports').

But Elsanta? What are you thinking??  :BangHead: Dump them... Preferably try something better tasting and sod the lower yield (unless your entire "plot" is three containers on a patio).

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 20:10:24 »
Dump them it is then! I like the flavour of Elsanta but am willing to try others!  :icon_cheers:

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 22:18:27 »
I used to grow Elsanta but then someone recommended Marshmello and Malwina.   They are both nice but our preference is Malwina.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 09:29:52 »
A lot of mine died and then I found the vine weevil grub in the soil.  Mine were is growbags and as with those grown in pots, they are very susceptible to being attacked this way.  You need to make sure that there are no signs of these pests before replanting.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal