Author Topic: Courgette - where are the males?  (Read 1701 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Courgette - where are the males?
« on: June 01, 2017, 15:17:56 »
One of my courgette plants opened it first female flower this morning, but there are no males on any of the plants. Not on an allotment, just at home, so doubt that my neighbours are growing any. Will it grow ok?
gone to pot :D

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Courgette - where are the males?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 15:41:03 »
Difficult to say but they do need fertilising but bees travel quite long distances so it may be OK.
You may want to consider growing Partenon in future - It is an F1 that fruits without fertilisation - http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/Vegetable-Seeds/Courgette-Seed/Courgette-Parthenon-F1-Seeds_2.html

I grow them and they are hugely productive..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 16:00:54 »
Thanks, I've grown those before and really liked them, but had to buy seed from a limited selection (in b&Q) - got defender.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 20:54:48 »
With some varieties of courgette, by the time the flower is open they are near enough at a size that can be picked anyway. I'd not worry. Courgettes grow so quickly your question will be answered in only a day or two anyway.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 00:34:05 »
With some varieties of courgette, by the time the flower is open they are near enough at a size that can be picked anyway. I'd not worry. Courgettes grow so quickly your question will be answered in only a day or two anyway.

Yes that's right.  If you grow tromboncino for example the embryo fruits are 20cm long before the flowers open. 

Normally we have male flowers first because the weather is cooler, but with this mini heat wave the females develop first and no males to fertilise them.  :wave:

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 08:42:21 »
The courgette in question still looks intact. But only about 3in long (nice to be able to just pop outside and guestimate that!)

There were male flowers, but they had all finished by the time this female opened! There are lots more flowers developing though!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal