Author Topic: Eat my first courgette still May!!  (Read 1889 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Eat my first courgette still May!!
« on: May 31, 2017, 13:34:57 »
It was very small only about an inch long but I wanted to eat one in May.  It was August before I had one last year.
Everything is well ahead I even have brambles in flower.

And one very small broad bean.

strawberry1

• Hectare
Re: Eat my first courgette still May!!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 13:45:55 »
I was just thinking of writing a similar post. I have three plants and picked five small courgettes, which I have eaten with my lunch veg. I noticed a black blackcurrant and autumn raspebbies setting fruit and suddenly more parsnips are up. Its topsy turvey this year

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 15:32:24 »
indeed have a couple around 4 inches long even for the sunshine coast its early  even got sweet peppers set
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 19:33:58 »
I've only planted out our courgettes plants today so no hope of fruit for a while.  But we did have our first bowlfuls of autumn raspberries this evening, mmmmmmm!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 19:40:14 »
Why is it that I get the feeling that I don't live on the same planet as you guys? :dontknow:

I haven't even finished my planting out yet! :drunken_smilie:

Then again I might get the last laugh as my stuff will be ready for harvesting when yours is all finished. :icon_cheers:

picman

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 22:14:53 »
" An inch long " :love7:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 06:08:03 »
I have courgettes just beginning to fruit, but I am also still planting out.  And still sowing new things.  I go on sowing beans for example into the middle of July. 
Getting courgettes now is a bit of a gamble but most years I win. 
The early courgettes plants tend to get attacked by mould after a while, so another set of plants do well later. 

Yes you are right Picman an inch long is cheating, but it amused me.  But in a couple of days I will have a full size one. 

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 06:37:49 »
on the other hand, (even if I'm only just planting out courgettes etc, perhaps tomatoes this morning) I have just  grubbed up all the peas, having had a wonderful harvest this year, for the first time since we moved to SW France.  I sowed them in November, they survived lots of early morning frosts, and have given me bags and bags of peas in the freezer to enjoy for the summer   :blob7:

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 07:23:57 »
Picked my first raspberries yesterday. Only a small amount but still yummie.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 11:45:59 »
Here is my first courgette flower, another will open tomorrow - giving me two courgettes of decent size within the next few days. Then the glut will start as I have 3 plants and only me to eat the crop :tongue3: (it's Sure Thing, btw)

Tricia :wave:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 11:48:07 by tricia »

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 15:19:57 »
Why is it that I get the feeling that I don't live on the same planet as you guys? :dontknow:

I haven't even finished my planting out yet! :drunken_smilie:

Then again I might get the last laugh as my stuff will be ready for harvesting when yours is all finished. :icon_cheers:

But the rest of us can do a second sowing! (I'm sure it's only about a month since I sowed mine, can't remember, wish I'd kept a diary this year!)
gone to pot :D

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 16:45:41 »
Tricia, only me as well and I have three plants, so I am making sure I pick them small while I can. They will soon go bonkers and then I saute with shallots and garlic in olive oil, to  pack in pouches in the freezer, an absolutely great standby base for cooking all winter but it does get full on in the kitchen

Invicta gooseberries are picked, washed and frozen, already, did them yesterday. Must have been the rain, they are big

picman

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 19:55:55 »
I have some courgette 80mm ! Do you manually pollinate them  Digeroo ? I try to because we get them pollen bugs in the millions. so i go round with the male flower, today I had several females but no males ...  Also have squash the size of grapefruit ... 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal