Author Topic: Glyphosphate and Stinging nettle question  (Read 2985 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Glyphosphate and Stinging nettle question
« on: May 30, 2017, 11:57:33 »
Having become overrun by nettles I did the unthinkable and weedkillered them.

However now I am digging up some of the roots, and find clusters of green misshaped leaves on the roots.  They are not dead.  They are resurrecting.  I am gutted.   Will these grow into full size plants?

Not only have I contaminated my soil with weedkiller but it looks as if I will have to dig out all the roots anyway.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Glyphosphate and Stinging nettle question
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 12:22:09 »
Do not be despondant!
Hopefully you treated the nettle plants while they were entire, and doubtless fast growing. They have roots which act almost as rhizomes. Presuming that you have waited 2/3 weeks for the tops to die off. If they are re-shooting, leave until re- leafed and re -treat (as it says on the glysophate package). If you wish now to remove the roots, you will need to be thorough in your exhumation, or ready to 'spot-treat' any regrowth. Do you need to plant this area in this season?
You have not "contaminated " your ground, replant in line with the instructions.* Glysophate is a modified ammomium salt, which weathers to a fertiliser equivalent to sulphate of ammonia. The quantity you should have applied is not significant, in terms of ounces per square yard, its trifling.
*Typically 3-6 weeks from last application. This varies with brand and solution strength. Read the full instructions, refer to makers website for the product you used.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 12:55:53 »
If you want to kill the nettles stone dead and don't need to plant there for six weeks I would use ammonium sulphamate ... officially it's only available to buy as a compost accelerator and banned for sale as a weedkiller, but I like to "accelerate" the "composting" of my nettles while they're still alive.  I've never had any re-growth.  It works just as well on mares tails as well which glyphosate hardly touches.

Ammonium sulphamate will break down in the soil to the similarly named ammonium sulphate which is a plant fertilizer ... I normally plant within a month of treatment and I have never had any problem.  It's only banned as a weedkiller on a ridiculous EU technicality ... nothing to do with it presenting a danger.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 13:09:29 »
You can buy ammonium sulphamate from various companies online including chemical supplier Mistral where I get mine.  It's not cheap as it needs to be fairly strong concentration.  50g-200g per litre is an effective range for dilution.  200g/L is very strong and only needed for spot spraying.  50g/l can be watered on to a large area.  I add a drop of soft soap to my mixtures as a wetting agent.  However, it beats glyphosate in to a cocked hat and doesn't come with any of the associated health scare stories and doubts!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 22:27:53 »
The EU ban on sulphamate was very curious.

The product is low toxicity and generally considered very safe. But after  the EU pesticides review herbicides containing ammonium sulfamate becoming unlicensed, and therefore effectively banned, from 2008.

But the EU seemed to have no particular stance on this other to ensure we are not all going around using toxic or carcinogenic or otherwise environmentally harmful substances.

The ban was the result of some extremely unusual behaviour by the Irish Rapporteur calling for specific toxicity information in relation to dogs. As there was already substantial animal data within the submitted application a row developed on the grounds further tests were not only unnecessary but would also cause unnecessary animal suffering. It seems that the licence was not withdrawn on grounds of safety or efficacy, but a technicality​ engineered by a single official.

Now I'm not one for conspiracy theories but it would certainly be in the interests of some businesses​ to see an inexpensive, reasonably safe and highly effective herbicide taken out of competition so we could all continue buying something more expensive.

Not mad, just out to mulch!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 22:58:39 »
The nettles were weed killed last year and I thought that I had seen the end of them but they are regrowing.  Dense clusters of leaves at various points on the roots.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 10:58:31 »
The EU ban on sulphamate was very curious.

The product is low toxicity and generally considered very safe. But after  the EU pesticides review herbicides containing ammonium sulfamate becoming unlicensed, and therefore effectively banned, from 2008.

But the EU seemed to have no particular stance on this other to ensure we are not all going around using toxic or carcinogenic or otherwise environmentally harmful substances.

The ban was the result of some extremely unusual behaviour by the Irish Rapporteur calling for specific toxicity information in relation to dogs. As there was already substantial animal data within the submitted application a row developed on the grounds further tests were not only unnecessary but would also cause unnecessary animal suffering. It seems that the licence was not withdrawn on grounds of safety or efficacy, but a technicality​ engineered by a single official.

Now I'm not one for conspiracy theories but it would certainly be in the interests of some businesses​ to see an inexpensive, reasonably safe and highly effective herbicide taken out of competition so we could all continue buying something more expensive.

I'm sorry, if the law is an ass, and breaking it hurts no-one and nothing, then I don't recognise it.

Russell

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 06:33:29 »
In precisely what way is sulphamate illegal? May it be legally bought, sold, given away or stored? If  there is some UK law which make us criminals for applying non-approved substances to our plants, would this also apply to bicarbonate, nettle tea, soft soap etc?
I am a great believer in the rule of law, and I also believe that our lawmakers have a duty not to bring the law into disrepute.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 08:10:06 »
It's illegal to sell it labeled as a weedkiller, and it is banned from deliberately being used as a weedkiller.

It is legal to sell and use it as a compost accellerator and I simply choose to accellerate the composting of my weeds 'in-situ' - the fact that they die as a consequence of this is merely coincidental.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 12:20:17 »
We have been clearing a former donkey paddock to make a new fruit and veggie plot - 29m x 25m.   I treated it with glysophate, as requested, before chappy came with a mini digger to level it and then a mini tractor to plough and harrow it.   The minute we had some rain all sorts of horrors germinated - nettles, docks, thistles, sow thistles, bindweed, American poke weed and a few mallows and vetches.  I did them all with glyphosate which I now have to buy from a locked cabinet as it is to be banned form Jan 2018.   

The nettles and thistles and some other stuff have proved remarkably resilient so, as I needed more, I had a chat with the man at the local supplies store and he advised brushwood killer.    It seems to be working as plants are limp after just one day.   Good.   However, I cant work the soil or plant anything for 6 weeks - not indicated on the bottle but fortunately I checked on the 'net.   I won't be using any such products in future but will rely on a combination of raised beds, hoeing and mulching to deal with the horrors.
Obxx - Vendée France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal