Author Topic: Sorrel  (Read 901 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Sorrel
« on: May 30, 2017, 11:49:36 »
 I have got some bl**dy sorrel. Actually it is not swearing that's what it is called.

But what do I do with it?  The leaves are coarse, the edges sharp and it tastes very bitter.
It  has got a flower head so perhaps that makes it bitter.

I seem to have taken two years to grow something basically inedible.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
Re: Sorrel
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 14:29:52 »
Yes, it is sort of attractive and sort of edible -  but even less edible than attractive. A far cry from proper sorrels.

That's the retail sector for you...  There are plenty of other examples of "edible" salad plants whose leaves taste like paper, like Burnet, Orache etc.

Meanwhile, more attractive plants that taste better are neglected* - that just shows how lazy, unobservant and just plain stupid people in marketing are...

* Pink Purslane, Rampion, Lovage, Strawberry Guavas, Chilean Guavas, epicacti, ice plant, Sculpit, Yacon - to name a few.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 14:33:33 by Vinlander »
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal