Author Topic: Hutton period  (Read 2444 times)

small

• Hectare
Hutton period
« on: May 30, 2017, 08:40:42 »
Just been reading about this, the new Smith period for blight, I've already had a warning about it in my postcode. Not that there's a lot one can do except keep a watch out - I lost a load of outdoor tomatoes to blight last year, but not till September, I'll be gutted if it strikes this early when the potatoes are still in.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Hutton period
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 09:52:57 »
Is it practical to offer any protection, it seems to be mainly outdoor tomatoes that succumb, those in greenhouses survive, right? What experience can we find to formulate a method of protection? How ramshackle a shelter equates to greenhouse protection. Is it hygeine thats important, not to transfer the spores on hands,cans & water supply. Given that its likely to come airborne in rain, is a simplepolythene tent going to work. Please advance your knowledge and experiences.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 10:33:09 »
Is it practical to offer any protection, it seems to be mainly outdoor tomatoes that succumb, those in greenhouses survive, right? What experience can we find to formulate a method of protection? How ramshackle a shelter equates to greenhouse protection. Is it hygeine thats important, not to transfer the spores on hands,cans & water supply. Given that its likely to come airborne in rain, is a simplepolythene tent going to work. Please advance your knowledge and experiences.
i rigged up a polythene wigwam to stop leaf curl on my peach it worked a treat as leaf curl and blight are airborne it makes sense that you could use the same on a row of tomatoes  i made it out of two  posts a top rod ie 8ft cane two side canes then wire stretched between the  two side poles it lasted all winter tru storms monsoon like rain and even snow and ive left it on will take a pic or two tomorrow to show you
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 11:41:59 »
Keeping the tomatoes and potatoes dry does help.  I do know that watering potatoes over the leaves is a sure fire way of getting blight.  I do try and persuade people to water near the potato and not over the top. 

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 18:00:49 »
Is it really necessary to water potatoes unless it's been really dry (as recently, I know!)?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal