Author Topic: Netting cherry tree  (Read 1289 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Netting cherry tree
« on: May 29, 2017, 16:07:29 »
My four year old Sunburst is fruiting for the first time  :icon_cheers:.I have a large mosquito net ready to protect it from the birds, but don't know when I should use it. The cherries are plumping up but are still green, so can someone offer advice p!ease?

Tricia :wave:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Netting cherry tree
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 16:18:47 »
I would net as soon as possible. 
Or you could wait and when all the fruit suddenly disappears you know you should have nettled it the day before.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 09:35:03 »
If the net gets torn it's probably grey squirrels (oversized, oversexed and over here) - but don't lose hope, an outer layer of chicken wire will stop them.

Keeping the mice out is more of a problem...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 11:51:38 »
I choose a few branches which are well stocked and put the whole branch into a plastic bag and seal the end.

Never managed to make the netting bird proof.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 14:05:01 »
Thanks - netting done and since the tree is only about 150cm high it wasn't too difficult and it is well weighted down with stones. Not had a problem with squirrels since installing a baffle on the bird feeder station so am hoping I'll get to enjoy the cherries. I've decided not to net the Morello cherry this year to see if the birds like sour cherries! It's a mature tree which produces a huge crop every year so if they want some they are welcome :tongue3:.

Tricia :wave:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal