Author Topic: D.I.Y Advise please  (Read 1298 times)

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
D.I.Y Advise please
« on: May 26, 2017, 09:39:26 »
 I love waught  iron   I have an old waught iron hall table   it has a straight back but a semi circle front and it did have  a frosted glass top  which I used on my  patio to display plants though the summer But it got blown over in the winter and the glass got broken  I would like to still use it by  either  making a wood  insert like a planter to fit in side  or a frame to hold pots in side  The height of the fancy waught work is about 9 inches so would like to make the insert that high I know how to make  the bottom and back and fix it to the frame but  how do I bend the wood in a semi circle for the front    Any advise please

TEL

• Hectare
Re: D.I.Y Advise please
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 11:47:05 »
Hi If you use 9mm ply it will bend quite well.
If timber cut v shaped in the back every 12mm to 25mm to about 5mm from the front edge.
Then soak the wood in water over night & bend to shape.
You may need to do more cuts as you go if needed.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 12:07:19 »
Use clear Perspex or something similar, it will not rot out like plywood and easy to warm in hot water to bend. Get a dremmel and etch a nice pattern in keeping with the wrought ironwork, some cheap colour changing solar fairy lights to uplight from underneath the tray and you have a nice garden feature in the evenings.

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 12:49:47 »
Thanks Tel  will get some 9mm ply Plus will be on the look out for some Perspex  as I love your idea Ace   I have some battery coloured lights which would do the trick   Thanks  both 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal