Author Topic: strawberries  (Read 2896 times)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
strawberries
« on: May 25, 2017, 14:04:37 »
my strawberries seem to be a lot larger than last  year this one is a mailing centenary  next to a two pound coin however i have around 8 varieties and all are showing larger than normal fruit a very nice surprise anyone else had this  this early summer
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ACE

• Hectare
Re: strawberries
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 16:42:34 »
Yes I have been eating 10 to a dozen a day for this last 10 days. Most are giants I would say two and a half sizes bigger than your sweet little diddy one. I don't know my variety, they were half a dozen 'dead' ones being chucked out by Aldi when I started a couple of years ago.

Here is a pic of them starting earlier this month, so nice little sweet ones

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1438688829503278&set=pcb.1438689192836575&type=3&theater

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 17:10:37 »
Yes I have been eating 10 to a dozen a day for this last 10 days. Most are giants I would say two and a half sizes bigger than your sweet little diddy one. I don't know my variety, they were half a dozen 'dead' ones being chucked out by Aldi when I started a couple of years ago.

Here is a pic of them starting earlier this month, so nice little sweet ones

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1438688829503278&set=pcb.1438689192836575&type=3&theater
yes at first i put it down to the first fruit being big a bit like the king apple but no they have all been twice the size of normal its good to know im not the only one  some of mine are from aldi or maybe lidl not sure of the variety  even my gooseberries are a lot bigger for the time of year id say a good month in front of last year

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 17:44:35 »
Two pound coin, need to go to specsavers. Yes about the same size. But only a couple of weeks early down this way. These mini heatwaves might be good for soft fruit but it has knackered my garlic. Ready to pull out and ripen but no bulb size.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 16:23:31 »
Two pound coin, need to go to specsavers. Yes about the same size. But only a couple of weeks early down this way. These mini heatwaves might be good for soft fruit but it has knackered my garlic. Ready to pull out and ripen but no bulb size.
indeed mine looking a little sorry for itself however my onions from seed seem to be liking warm weather

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 17:57:51 »
I bought some driscoll variety from a supermarket, they were absolutely wonderful. I looked online for the plants but they only do commercial. Oh well, I am waiting to sow some seeds from the last driscoll strawberry, I know I will get an unknown as driscoll is a hybrid but should be fun to find out. I have seived my compost and have a water spray ready, just need some more seeds to go dark and to find my tweezers

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 11:24:32 »
They have gone mad now, 36 plants are  producing  over 3k of ripe fruit daily. 8 kilner jars of Jam already made earlier this week. Friends and family strawberried out so I am freezing this lot for the winter. The next batch will go in the dehydrator.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 14:21:02 »
I had 3 strawberries yesterday, which I ate at the allotment. Hopefully many more to come.  :sunny:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 16:43:59 »
Not expecting a lot this year as it is a new bed with a mixture of 1st & 2nd year plants.

Ate my first one today taste and size was satisfactory,

Had a look around the plants I think they could have done with a bit more rain prior to flowering/fruiting to bulk up the plants a bit.

So another anomaly that I think can be put down to "Weather Change" it is no wonder that the scientists have gone back to their drawing boards to amend their previous predictions.

I am too old and long in the tooth to start altering my ways now so my motto will be to make do and mend, so I wish the scientists every success with their deliberations.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 05:44:45 »
my grandson had a great time harvesting two punnets  of strawberries however only one made it home

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 22:17:04 »
however only one made it home

The strawberries or the grandson?

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 09:01:44 »
I am experimenting again, slugs were my biggest problem last two years so I gave all my runners away. I decided I cannot survive without strawberries so have put buckwheat hulls into a raised bed and ordered malling centenary a few days ago, planted now. I just saw the pic in the opening post, malling centenary!!  I put hulls down in various places by apple trees and blackcurrants a couple of years ago, just emptied some pillows as it was simply somewhere to dump the hulls. The surface is still very much full of hulls and I would not slide on them if I where a slug. I bought the hulls this time but they are very light. I decided to do this after seeing a strawberry plant looking very healthy growing through slate chippings

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 16:29:34 »
 :blob7: I have 7 seeds germinated. The ones I carefully took off the driscoll with tweezers. I can`t tell if they are the strawberries yet but the seed leaves all look the same and the same small size. Took 6 weeks and just kept the seed tray in the shade of an apple tree up on a stand. Watered just a couple of times

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 18:39:24 »
I have got about 70 plants the variety is vibrant from Marshalls some are the runners from last years and they all produced a abundance of fruit this year best I can remember, so it seems to be a good year for strawberries, shame I cant say the same of the other crops on the allotment this year 
Barnsley S Yorks

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 15:39:55 »
On a recommendation, I ordered some plants of Mara des Bois. They looked so weedy when I planted them, (back in March) I thought they would die. A few did die, but most are now doing really well and the strawberries they produce are big fat and yummy (the slugs think so too).
Located in Royston, North Herts.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal